OG is higher than expected

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpalme

Reaction score
Just put my first partial mash into the fermenter, and yes I stirred the crap out of it before I pitched the yeast. Pitching temp was about 78 degrees, could not get it any lower at all......

My OG however at that pitching temp is 1.058 to 1.060. Now, we only ended up with about 4 1/2 gallons of wort again, boiled a bit more off than we planned on.

I'm assuming all this will do is add more alcohol to the beer....

Any other ideas or suggestions?

Yes, higher ABV! If you boiled off more wort than you should have you got a higher concentration of sugars, thus higher OG reading. If you wanted to you could have added some top off water to get the 5 gallons and it would have helped lower the temperature as well:)

Now get that temperature down and you'll be golden, search swamp cooler if you need some cheap temperature control set up.

The difference between 1.058 and 1.060 is negligible, and even within the margin of error of the hydrometer. The final beer will be indistinguishable from the same beer with the exact OG.

Back