Homebrew bottle pressure limit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SethMasterFlex

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the pressure limit is on standard homebrew bottles (12oz and 22oz) that you can buy from any homebrew retailer? I'm not talking about recycled bottles, just the kinds you purchase for homebrew.

I'm looking to carb about 3.5-4.0 volumes. I usually use my Belgian corked bottles for this, but I'm short on those at the moment.

Less than that. The reason for thick, corked bottles is more than cosmetic, obviously.

I've seen a variety of numbers, but 3.0vols comes up a lot. I've done higher without issue, but be very careful.

3 vols is the upper limit (some would even say over it) for recycled bottles, according to everything i've read. best to keep it under 3.

i have no idea about store-bought bottles, i've never bothered taking a look at them - are they thicker than standard/recycled bottles? perhaps the retailer could tell you when their limits are.

Yeah they're thicker. Most craft beer producers know what CO2 volumes they're shooting for and have bottles rated for their purposes (one use). The guys at the LHBS are kind of clueless on this stuff, but I could prob find out what distributor/brand they use. Just looking for general consensus and what others have experienced.

Back