Counter Pressure filler and a primed keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dummkauf

Reaction score
So I am fairly confident that Santa will be bringing me a counter pressure bottle filler for christmas, and for my second Christmas celebration of the year I have some requests for beer for presents, but the only beer I have ready to drink is in kegs and on tap in the kegerator, which is fine because I "should" have my bottle filler in time :D

But, I have 1 keg that was primed with corn sugar that is making me a bit nervous. I primed it since I had 2 full kegs in the fridge and didn't have a spare CO2 line to carb a 3rd keg. The primed keg sat at room temp for about 3 or 4 weeks which I figured would have fully carbonated it, but when I finally hooked it up to the kegerator it was just slightly fizzy. However, when I hooked up the CO2 I didn't hear the usual woosh of gas flowing into the keg, which tells me the pressure in the keg was equal to, or greater than, the pressure I had set the tank at. I then left it on the gas in the fridge and it fully carbed up and it is great now.

My concern is, the yeast may have been still actively carbing up the beer, and then I put it in the fridge which put the yeasties to sleep and force carbed it the rest of the way. So if I bottle it, and give it away, the beer will be sitting at room temp at some point, should I be worried about the yeasties waking up and exploding the bottle? Or were the yeast done, and all the CO2 just sitting in the head space of the keg but hadn't absorbed into the beer yet?

3 or 4 weeks at room temperature should be enough time for the yeast to finish out. But it can take longer depending on the gravity of the beer (You didn't mention what flavor you have)

If it's close to fully carbed you may not hear a "woosh" because at cooler temperatures the difference between barely carbed and fully carbed is only a few PSI. That sounds nothing like hitting a 0PSI keg with gas for the first time.

Regardless, if the yeast isn't done, and you force carb the rest of the way, bottle bombs are likely if the beer is allowed to get warm after bottling... If it stays cold they shouldn't blow.

You could always let a pint go flat and test the gravity. That is the only way to tell if there is anything left for the yeast to eat, and to get Revvy's blessing on the batch ;)

It's EdWort's Haus Pale Ale, so it's not a super high gravity beer.

The letting a pint go flat idea isn't bad, or less than a pint, will fill up my hydrometer tube tonight when I get home and let it sit.

Back