Splitting 5 Gallon batch into 1 gallon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1stTimer

Reaction score
I purchased 5 one gallon jugs and I am looking to split my next batch up so that I can try something different with each gallon. I dont really have a specific question. I was hoping someone else had done this and could maybe give me some tips. Ive been doing partial mash for a while now. Not sure if that makes a difference or not. And the brew will be an IPA. Thanks for any tips you can provide. Cheers!

i actually brought that up with the guy who owns the shop and he said that these are actually over a gallon to allow for headspace. We shall see I guess.

I've done this before, there is a good amount of head space in the growlers when I split a 5 gallon 1.055 batch into 5 growlers. One thing you should be aware of is that your yeast may behave differently in a growler vs a 5 or 6 gallon carboy. This, I found was particularly true for Belgian strains.

I've done this before, and +1 to leaving more headspace than you'd think. Mine blew off about 1/4 of the gallon I put in each!

Back