Mash-in and stir?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pretzelb

Reaction score
I have never done a mash-out before (I've gone gone right to fly sparging) and was going to try it tomorrow just for fun. I have BeerSmith telling me how much water to add and for how long but are you supposed to stir after you mash-out? Seems like that would be the best way to raise the temp of all the grain bed. I suppose I should also ask if there is a time or situation when it's best to not mash-out.

You need to stir when you mash-in. It helps break up doughballs and make sure that your grain is all in contact with the strike water. I only do it for a minute or so, high and low on the grainbed and all around the tun, to be sure.

It sounds to me like you've got some terminology mixed up. Mash In = Dough In = mixing strike water with dry grist. Do you mean "mash out" where you add a small volume of hot water after the mash is over to raise the temp to 170F? Yes, you stir that in.

It sounds to me like you've got some terminology mixed up. Mash In = Dough In = mixing strike water with dry grist. Do you mean "mash out" where you add a small volume of hot water after the mash is over to raise the temp to 170F? Yes, you stir that in.

Looks like you are correct. Sadly I don't think I can alter the subject now. My only excuse is I had switched the view in BeerSmith to text mode and as a result it appears to have left out some steps. Switching to classic view is much clearer:

Mash In: Add 18.75 qt of water at 165.9 F
60 min - Hold mash at 154.0 F for 60 min
2 min Mash Out: Add 10.50 qt of water at 196.6 F
10 min - Hold mash at 168.0 F for 10 min
Sparge with 1.27 gal of 168.0 F water.

So after I add the MASH OUT of 10.5 qt water should I stir?

Back