Bottle cider in these bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're bottling uncarbonated (still) cider those bottles will do just fine, and you can use either corks or caps. If you're carbonating the cider, those bottles probably will need caps (not corks).

If you're bottling uncarbonated (still) cider those bottles will do just fine, and you can use either corks or caps. If you're carbonating the cider, those bottles probably will need caps (not corks).

Any ideas what size corks or caps I need?
Can I use old beer bottles too (twist top)?
My alternative is that I bottle in those 4litre jars - cheaper maybe?

I'd guess somewhere between 0" and 6", depending on the size of the opening, hard to tell from the pics and description. Maybe try measuring them with some sort of measuring implement. Can you reuse whatever cork/cap came out of them originally? Probably best to take them to your LHBS and try sticking some things in them, see what fits and then RUN!!!

You can use any 'ol bottle or vessel your heart desires, as long as you have a way to make an airtight seal. Most people stay away from reusing twist top bottles because the trolls that live in the bottom of them will drink all your beer before you get a chance to.

:mug:

You measure the outer diameter of the bottle for caps and the inner for corks?

Those Unibroue bottles? Chemin de Chambly?

Take one to the wine and beer supplies place and buy some corks the right size, or measure the diameter and use that info to buy some plastic plugs and wire cages for them.

If they are what I think they are, then they are strong enough for anything you wish to put in them. Plus a bit.

TeeJo

Those Unibroue bottles? Chemin de Chambly?

Take one to the wine and beer supplies place and buy some corks the right size, or measure the diameter and use that info to buy some plastic plugs and wire cages for them.

If they are what I think they are, then they are strong enough for anything you wish to put in them. Plus a bit.

TeeJo

Blanche de Chambly :)

Those look like Belgian 750ml bottles. I use them quite a bit, and you can get the proper cork and wire cages (lust like champagne corks) from most LHBS. This gets expensive though, since it requires a special floor corker ($100-200 retail). These bottles are very strong and can handle a great deal of pressure, but that is not required for Cider. Most of these bottles can take a metal cap as well, but they are slightly larger than normal beer caps. Your local or online brew store can get these, and you will also need a different head for your capper, which is a much more economical option than the corks and wire cages. If you go with capping, I would take a bottle down to the LHBS and ask advice, because some of these bottles cannot take a cap and must be corked.

These bottles don't really have a lip that a metal cap would fit round do they as the cap has to tighten round the lip of the bottle?

Back