Aging commercial beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoPhunk

Reaction score
I was wondering what styles do well if aged and what everyone's favorite style/brand-style is to age

I think most commercial beers are pasteurized which kills off the yeast, not sure aging would do any good. I think you could age a bottle conditioned kraft beer though.

Just about anything 9-10 and up in ABV will cellar well. My favorites are North Coast Old Stock and Old Rasputin, Bell's Third Coast Old Ale, anything from Bell's Batch series, etc. Yep, plenty of commercial beers are good to age.

Orval is friggin amazing after a year and a half, an entirely different beer, and much better for it. The brett takes over and creates an incredibly drinkable beer incredibly different than fresh Orval.

I love aging beer Barley Wines, Barrel Aged, big Stouts, if it is rare and can handle some age I will put it on a shelf till it is very hard to get or the right event comes along. I have Sierar Navada Big Foot 09-11. Shlafley Barley wine 07-10. Great Devide Yeti stouts from 09-11. It if fun to keep them and even better to drink them

Whether the beer is pasteurized or filtered does not necessarily indicate the flavor will not change. Wine has all the yeast filtered out yet continues to develop flavors over years. Certainly the presence of yeast in the bottle will contribute an additional layer of flavor development but it is not the only change a beer makes over time.

Doing verticals, even across a couple of years is fun. I had a bottle of Scaldis Noel from last year that I drank Sunday along with a bottle from this year to compare the effects. The 2010 bottle had lost some of the fresh flavors and developed more of a liquor-like boozy quality. The 2011 bottle tasted a lot more beer-like since the grain flavor came across better and it seemed less boozy. I liked both for different reasons.

I age some Great Divide Hibernation Ale every year. It is a winter warmer ale with about 8.7% ABV.

When you have it "fresh" it has a very distinct alchohol bite and burn, but with about 8-10 months of aging at room temp, the bite/burn dissipates, and it tastes more like a well matured barleywine with everything in balance. Good stuff!!

I know that you can age most of Unibroue beers. If you go to there website and choose a beer, you'll see a sub section for aging with cool info. range is from 2 to 15 years for some

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll have to check the local stores to see what they carry

Back