UNDERESTIMATED!! : Currently in the grip of Apfelwein...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deacon1856

Reaction score
Background:

I'm an experienced drinker. 29 years old. 6'2", 245, lift weights 4 times a week.

Situation:

I just built (this afternoon) a new kegerator. Had 5 gallons of Apfelwein in my closet ready to do something with, so I siphoned it into a keg...there was about 3 inches of liquid at the bottom along with the yeast, and being a cheap-ass I couldn't just throw it out!!! Sooo....I started drinking it.

Current State:

I'm on my 5th pint of yeasty, semi-chilled Apfelwein (along with 2 bottles of EdWorts Haus Pale) and I have to tell you, the Apfelwein will dominate you if you're not careful. Not just dominate you, but NINJA dominate you. I didn't see it coming. I started drinking it thinking: "Hmmm...this is a mild, nice change-up from some of the stuff I had been drinking, maybe I'll have a few out of the bottom of this carboy!"

Little did I know that Apfelwein was lying in wait to ambush and destroy me!

Oh I've read the warnings: "Drink a few but have Advil before you go to bed." And, "Apfelwein should be consumed carefully..".

PSHAW, says I!

Now, I'm seeing that warnings were meant to be heeded as I listen to Hank III and wonder at how slowly everything around me is moving!

Take it from me, Apfelwein is delicious...but in a spikey, ninja, STD kind of way. It'll sneak up on you and chop your *$&#)@(*_)!@ off.

-Deacon

Post back on Monday Morning....if You're able!

How many pints of the apfelwein lees? Plus beer?

hehehehehe....

HeadExplodeBig.gif

Pint 7....there seems to be something bu4rro2ing into my right tmeple...

I'd take the Advil right now while you can remember, in about 45 minutes it will be tomorrow morning.

Then you'll think you got hit by an anvil, wishing you had taken the advil

Its Advil or Anvil! :cross:

I'd skip the advil...realllll bad for your liver, especially when combined with alcohol. Just drink a gallon of water or a liter of pedialyte and eat something fatty before bed.

Pint 8.5.....feeling a bit better...had dinner. Chicken, biscuits, corn....kindof feeling strange and I'm blaming yeast sediment. Still no advil, probably right before bed...did I mention I played on the same baseball team as Joe Blanton who's pitching in the World Series! Weird!

It must be the yeast. Methinks perhaps there should have been filtering before drinking..

No you have it all wrong, the yeast will ruffle the sheets later to night.

The terrible gurgling and flatulence will tear you a new ass.

Everyone around you tomorrow will wish you were wearing one of these. :D

Fart_suit.jpg

hey, don't forget to call edwort a mother****er tomorrow! Cus at pint 10 no matter what you do you are going to have a huge hangover.

So here it is...11:24 CST. I stopped at 10 pints. I drank loads of water. I took 4 advil. I watched "Burn After Reading" (funny, btw)...and I'm thinking about going to bed. I have already been destroyed by yeast (nothing like your own brand, right?!). My wife is unimpressed. I feel good, but it's like I've been hit with that Five Finger Exploding Heart Technique, and if I go to bed my heart/head will explode. Now: good. Later: maybe bad. Tomorrow: we'll see...

All in all I feel like I stopped at a good time. Now my question is, why in the f*$k was there 10 PINTS left in my better bottle when I racked to my keg...there must be a better way...

Until tomorrow -

Deacon

Current Time: 7:20am CST
Current Location: At work, at my desk
Current Condition: I'm not really sure what happened. I woke up this morning, not with a headache, more with an general feeling of "Whaaa??". My head feels about 4 sizes too big, even thought it doesn't *hurt* per se, it's definitely HEAVY. It's almost as if I'm looking down on myself as I walk around. Sentences are not coming out easily. More like words that are loosely related are coming out in spurts. I'm not DIZZY, but balance is not something I feel comfortable with today. No tightrope walking for me. It's entirely possible that I'm still slightly drunk...I'm not ruling that out.

I'm just marking myself as fortunate for not having a splitting headache. I'll take the general "brain function of a stapler" for today and keep hydrating. Hopefully I can make it through without having to have any conversations of consequence with anyone I need to impress. Prolly be skipping the Apfelwein tonight as well.

EdWort - damn you and your delicious mind-eraser-in-sheeps-clothing. I would be remiss if I didn't drag your name through the mud a bit. It was delicious though. Just like the Haus Pale. Mmmmm....Haus Pale...

EdWort - damn you and your delicious mind-eraser-in-sheeps-clothing. I would be remiss if I didn't drag your name through the mud a bit. It was delicious though. Just like the Haus Pale. Mmmmm....Haus Pale...

GOOD MORNING DEACON! Glad to hear that you've managed to skip the famous headache.

In June, Edwort approached some of us at the NHBC with a lovely bottle (2 liters!) of 14 month old apfelwein. I enjoyed a couple of glasses- and then thought, "Uh, oh- I'll be dead tomorrow if I keep enjoying this", so didn't have more. Even though 14 month old apfelwein in the company of Edwort is a wonderful thing- Nope. Didn't take any more. (BTW- I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings Edwort- it was great stuff!).

I'm probably older than you, Deacon, by a number of years. Maybe your youth had helped save you. If you were my age, I bet your post this morning would have been "**** Edwort", like so many others! :D

It's entirely possible that I'm still slightly drunk...I'm not ruling that out.

Ding! Give the man a cigar. Vertigo isn't good.
I've heard that drinking the yeast at the bottom of a beer will help cut hangover. You were drinking glasses of cidery yeast, so you probably killed the hang over.

I'd skip the advil...realllll bad for your liver, especially when combined with alcohol. Just drink a gallon of water or a liter of pedialyte and eat something fatty before bed.

Advil is much more benign than Tylenol. NEVER take Tylenol with alcohol, but ibuprofen is ok because it can be excreted by your kidneys if your liver is compromised. Just remember to drink LOTS of water no matter what NSAID you take.

Just a fun stat, Tylenol is the #1 cause for liver failure in children... It really is quite a toxic drug.

Oh, and NEVER give Tylenol to you pet, especially cats .

Other than that, glad to see that you are alive this morning Deacon (for now...):D

Other than that, glad to see that you are alive this morning Deacon (for now...):D

My thoughts exactly!
I'd think that the big head feeling + Vertigo = eventual headache! Maybe not though...if you can knock off work a bit early, and get going on some plain old beer, you could be ok.
On the Other Hand....C-ya after Lunch;)

It's entirely possible that I'm still slightly drunk...

you are correct, sir!!! Post back in about 4 hours.

I've been lucky with the Apfelwine so far. I won't do more than 3 12 ozers, not matter what.

Then again, that's because I haven't had time to mass produce and accumulate a large supply of well aged stuff...

Current Time: 12:30pm CST
Current Location: At home, just ate lunch
Current Condition: Vertigo, check. Big head, check. Gas, check check check and double check. Not to be crude, but I'm having to burn a candle in my office at work and hope nobody notices the paint peeling off my walls. I could not have anticipated what gaseous havoc that yeasty slurrycider would wreak on my intestines. It's entertaining when I'm here at the house (mildy...I am a guy after all) but at work it's a nuisance. No way to check my regularity though as I am fiber-supplement user (yes, even at 29).

I have managed to elude the headache, but its the "vertigo" I'm having trouble shaking. It's not entirely UNpleasant, it's more annoying than anything.

I guess I'm lucky I have a very high tolerance and an unusually efficient alcohol-filtering system in my body. It doesn't hurt that I've had 224 oz. of water since about 10:30pm CST last night. I really do feel like I've dodged a bullet here and learned an important lesson. Even though the Apfelwein didn't just burn me down, it is to be respected. Much like the poison-dart toads of the Amazon; they look harmless enough, but they will kill you dead.

Hopefully my condition continues to improve and I'll be able to move in a straight line later, perhaps even regaining control of my extremities and cutting out some of the involuntary movements my legs insist on making when I walk.

There is no teacher like experience.

Here is an interesting situation/hypothesis to explain your vertigo, you could still be drunk; you said you "Eat a lot of fiber" and "just finished lunch" did you happen to have a lot of carbohydrates for breakfast? And you drank 224oz of water...

What if by some chance you hit upon the magic mixture of ingredients and you have created the optimal fermentation environment inside your colon? Listen to this logic... Lots of fiber and carbohydrates (food) which your body breaks down into simple sugars plus lots of water to keep it soupy, plus tons of apfelwine yeast. Mix together at 98.6 degrees for a vigerous fermentation producing a lot of off gassing and of course the bi-product alcohol.

Anyone else think this is hypothetically possible....

Donasay -

Interesting theory! It so happens this is what I had for breakfast: 2 scoops fiber, Fiber 1 granola bar, banana, roasted almond granola bar. I know it's a lot of carbs and granola, but it's hearty and it's the cure for what ails ya!

Apfelwein can definitely leave you wondering, 'Why is the bathroom floor so close?'

The only answer of course is that your are lying on it in a pile of your own puke.

I guess you really did dodge a bullet.

Sorry for the post but Im LMFAO.........
I'm on my 1st batch of apfelwien, and Im already learning 1 beer a night.
Hope you feel better..

This thread is what made me decide to try this apfelwein....sadly it will be at least 4 months before I can even try it! Sounds like i'll be making two batches though :) Thats why I have 4 carboys and 8 between my neighbors right!?

Back