Homebrew Supplies in Alaska?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HickoryMike

Reaction score
There is a good chance that my family will be moving to Alaska this summer (somewhere on the road system....Anchorage or possibly Fairbanks). How do you folks in AK get your homebrew supplies? I just looked to see what an order to Fairbanks would cost from MoreBeer or AHS and the price was ridiculous (hundreds of dollars). There appear to be some small shops across the state of Alaska but with limited selections.

Any advice for this all-grain brewer?

Thanks....

I used to live in Sitka and you need to have things sent through the USPS. It cost the same to mail things next door or all the way to Alaska. And if they won't it was often much cheaper to have something shipped to a family member or friend and then have them mail it to us.

That's what I was thinking deremer. I'm still afraid that All-grain brewing will be cost-prohibitive unless I can get base grain from a local supplier or brewery.

I remember seeing a bulk grain buy for Anchorage while I was searching for brewing supplies on craigslist. I don't do AG yet but I get all my supplies from Arctic Brewing Supply http://arcticbrewingsupply.com/. I've looked into ordering online but its just not cost effective when you add the shipping.

I remember seeing a bulk grain buy for Anchorage while I was searching for brewing supplies on craigslist. I don't do AG yet but I get all my supplies from Arctic Brewing Supply http://arcticbrewingsupply.com/. I've looked into ordering online but its just not cost effective when you add the shipping.

It seems like Anchorage has a very active homebrew club. It's likely we end up somewhere within driving distance of Anchorage. ABS seems to have decent prices and a reasonable selection (for Alaska).

Thanks for the feedback

I have a buddy in Fairbanks and he buys his stuff from a LHBS there. I dont know the name of it but could probably track down the exact location if you end up there.

I live in Kodiak..

I am partial mash and I do the following:

Hops from a place in Wisconsin
Malt extract from Florida (flat rate shipping boxes, ftw)
grains/yeast from Arctic.

I know they do group buys up there in ANC. Check into it.

All the major online homebrew stores will ship via usps priority mail flat rate boxes to both Alaska and Hawaii. When you check out, pick the cheapest shipping method and in the comments request the flat rate box. They will make the best effort possible to get you the best rate possible. They know the prices are crazy to ship to Alaska and Hawaii. When they ship your box, they will refund you the difference in shipping cost.

Hey guys,
This thread just came up in a google search I was doing and have some info that I think you Alaskans might like. I am not a regular on this forum so I'm not sure if moderators will let this plug go through, but I am opening a new home brew supply store. I am based in Palmer and will be doing everything online for now with mail orders and local pick up service. I can also set up deliveries to Anchorage. I am the guy that has been organizing the group buys on Craigslist for the last year or so. I have a limited inventory right now, but hope to have a full store inventory within the next 3-4 weeks. You can check it out at:

alaskahomebrew.com

Thank you.

If you're in Fairbanks, you can get grain at Gavora's Liquor store in town. They usually stock 50 lb bags of the basics like pale and pilsner malt for $50 - $70, but the manager will probably order you anything you want, you just have to wait for his next shipment to come in. Hops are $2 - $3 an ounce. They stock 1# bags of Cascade for $16. They have all the other standard stuff. Specialty malts are $4/pound. The selection is not amazing, but it's the best in town and enough to make most beers. There is some Alaska markup, it's unavoidable. I have found it cheaper to buy yeast online from Midwest, unless you're just buying one or two packs. I get everything else at Gavora's. Gold Hill Liquor in Ester also sells homebrew stuff, but it is geared more towards extract.

If you're in Anchorage look at Arctic Brewing Supply. They have a website. Good luck, it's cold up here!

I have been trying to tell everyone I know about your website and all. I bet once you have a full inventory you will see more and more biz everyday. I dont mind the local guys here too much but I would love to have other options. Good luck, Ill keep trying to get the word out and when I run out of all the grain I have I will hit you up.

Hey guys,
This thread just came up in a google search I was doing and have some info that I think you Alaskans might like. I am not a regular on this forum so I'm not sure if moderators will let this plug go through, but I am opening a new home brew supply store. I am based in Palmer and will be doing everything online for now with mail orders and local pick up service. I can also set up deliveries to Anchorage. I am the guy that has been organizing the group buys on Craigslist for the last year or so. I have a limited inventory right now, but hope to have a full store inventory within the next 3-4 weeks. You can check it out at:

alaskahomebrew.com

Thank you.

If you're in Fairbanks, you can get grain at Gavora's Liquor store in town. They usually stock 50 lb bags of the basics like pale and pilsner malt for $50 - $70, but the manager will probably order you anything you want, you just have to wait for his next shipment to come in. Hops are $2 - $3 an ounce. They stock 1# bags of Cascade for $16. They have all the other standard stuff. Specialty malts are $4/pound. The selection is not amazing, but it's the best in town and enough to make most beers. There is some Alaska markup, it's unavoidable. I have found it cheaper to buy yeast online from Midwest, unless you're just buying one or two packs. I get everything else at Gavora's. Gold Hill Liquor in Ester also sells homebrew stuff, but it is geared more towards extract.

If you're in Anchorage look at Arctic Brewing Supply. They have a website. Good luck, it's cold up here!

Or you can check out alaskahomebrew.com

One thing I did want to ask alaskahomebrew is do you have a source yet on corny kegs? Id like to get more but I refuse to pay $85ish a piece from arctic ! thats crazy talk.

It's all good, I was referring to arctic brewing, I don't care much for them, also I just noticed the op is a year old lol

@ Kevin,
Thanks for spreading the word for me. Unfortunately at this point I am having a hard time finding a supplier of corney kegs at a price I'm happy with. I refuse to try and sell them for $85 each to be able to pull a profit so at this point it's a game that I would rather sit on the sidelines for. I can however get all the parts and pieces to maintain the ones you have and the rest of your draft system.

I do have a full supply of ingredients on hand and am expecting to get some Simcoe and Citra pellets in a couple of weeks too. As soon as I get confirmation on that I will add them to my site, they will be a limited supply so check back often over the next week if interested.:mug:

Back