Imperial Stout - OG too high?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenandgold

Reaction score
Brew #4, the Imperial Stout extract kit from Midwest.

Just finished up and the OG was reading 1.096 while the kit instructions say it should be 1.082-1.086.

I definitely had 5 to 5 1/4 gallons in the fermentor. And while I think I do a great job of getting everything I can out of those LME containers and sparging the grains, does that seem possible to be that far out of the suggested range?

My previous 2 Midwest extract kits were right within the OG suggested range.

So I just opened up the fermentor and added another 1/4 to 1/3 gallon of bottled water.

Any thoughts?

It turn out incompetence was once again the reason. :)

I noticed some sludge on the bottom of the tube interferring with the reading. Transferred the sample to a thinner tube and took a new reading at 1.090.

Guessing with the additional water that I am right within range. Hope I didn't add too much water. D'oh!

A key point to remember: with an extract kit, if you have the amount of water right, any variance from the suggested OG range has to be due to mixing. That high an ABV, I don't think you'll notice.

Back