Things I learned for my 2nd batch.......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lemmiwinks

Reaction score
.....from the awesome posters in this forum.
Brewed my second batch last night (Denny Conn's Bourbon Vanilla Porter) and went partial mash BIAB style.
My first brew (while not finished yet) was a Breweres Best DIPA kit. Basically followed the instructions in the kit and while they're the worst out there, there not the best. No suggestion of aeration or re-hydrating the yeast, etc. It took about 2 days for fermentation to take off and even then, it wasnt too vigerous. In the meantime, I've been to Home Depot and spent about an additional $60 after reading various posts and suggestions on this site. Built an immersion chiller, got a paint mixer drill attachment and some 5 gallon paint strainer bags.
Tackled the recipe using Deathbrewers Easy Partial Mash instructions. Aerated using my new drill attachment and re-hydrated the yeast based on the many different threads regarding that topic. Used my IC and got the temp down to 70 in about 15 minutes (as opposed to 75 using cold water/ice bath method).
Racked to primary at about 7pm last night and woke up this morning to a happily bubbling away airlock that is more active than anything my first brew showed.

While I wasn't discouraged to the point of not doing a second, I have to say the great folks on this site made me feel much more comfortable and better armed heading into my second batch.
Just wanted to give a big THANK YOU to all the vets out there helping us noobs with our new obsession.

Back