1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leadgolem said:
I was going to say something clever, but divrguy beat me to it... 4 times.

Had a lot of coffee today... Lol .... Sorry. But I just had a Stone Sublimely self righteous. May have to clone this... Deelish and 8.7%

See what I struggle with brewing in winter is fermentation control the other way- our house is about 58 F in winter (old porous house) and Ive had US-05 struggle with temps. Time for some lagers!!

^^^ Its 58 even in your living spaces? You must own some thick sweaters.

Also, most homebrew suppliers carry carboy, or "brew" belts that can keep carboys warm. Though I can not vouch for their effectiveness because I haven't had to use one.

jwalk4 said:

Also, most homebrew suppliers carry carboy, or "brew" belts that can keep carboys warm. Though I can not vouch for their effectiveness because I haven't had to use one.

Haha, our house is 275 years old. The walls myswell not exist in January.
One other question, any of you built a one gallon kegging system? Saw it over on the NB forums, you could run it off a paintball tank. Would it be worth seven pints a batch...?
http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=61167

Williams Brewing also sells ~7 L kegs if you have deep pockets. Just a thought

One other question, any of you built a one gallon kegging system? Saw it over on the NB forums, you could run it off a paintball tank. Would it be worth seven pints a batch...?
http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=61167

Williams Brewing also sells ~7 L kegs if you have deep pockets. Just a thought

I keep trying to think of other positives other than not having to use priming sugar. And I still got nothing other than dividing up a 5 gallon batch for storage.

go back about 2 or 3 pages in this thread.

divrguy (i think) had a post answering this very question for me

fuzzy2133 said:
I keep trying to think of other positives other than not having to use priming sugar. And I still got nothing other than dividing up a 5 gallon batch for storage.

I think it's also my old house but I screw up priming sugar often , sometimes I get flat beer even when I measure and age. I've had a few Brett infections which have made bottle bombs. Maybe that's the excuse?

dadshomebrewing said:
go back about 2 or 3 pages in this thread.

divrguy (i think) had a post answering this very question for me

It's called flexwatt heat tape. I buy it from reptilebasics.com by the foot. They also sell a clip that snaps into them. About 2 to 2.5 feet completely wraps a 5 or 3 gallon bucket and will keep it toasty warm. My shed has been in the fourties and fifties lately and this wrap keeps it at temp. You could put 2 - 1 gallon fermenters on a section and keep them at temp just sitting on them.

I was kind of wondering the same thing about Pepsi bottles. I know I have heard its okay to use Pepsi 12 oz or 20 oz plastic to condition as long as you keep it out of the light. But yesterday I went shopping with SWMBO and we picked up a 1/2 liter bottle which I've never seen until now and thought that would be kinda cool to put 1/2 batch in. Anyone ever do this before?

I primarily use clear soda and soda water bottles. I store the filled bottles in an opaque storage bin in a closet to minimize how much light it sees. Haven't had any skunky beers in a year of use and the flexible plastic is easier to handle than glass.

As for gushers, occasionally I'll have an issue but it helps to quickly pour some of it into a glass (only an inch of beer, the head will get pretty high) and then put the cap back on tightly. It'll foam some more and then calm down, I'll repoen it and pour some more. If the carbonation's still a little aggressive, I'll re-cap it until there's clear headspace in the bottle. By the third time, it'll be fine. It helps that I usually bottle in 33-oz bottles, which is a little more than two glasses, so if there's a problem I'm only dealing with it once.

However, I don't have a problem very often with gushers but they can be dealt with.

i have to ask this... where did you get the screen name ReaderRabbit

that was the very first software product i bought for my very first pc, in 1984 (i think).

They make 5l mini kegs that you can use, but I did a lot of research on them and decided it wasn't worth it for me. There is also that tap-a-draft systems which are 6L I think which would work too.

JollyIsTheRoger said:
They make 5l mini kegs that you can use, but I did a lot of research on them and decided it wasn't worth it for me. There is also that tap-a-draft systems which are 6L I think which would work too.

Yeah I've read about both of those as well and I guess I may be stubborn or just enjoying the way I do beer now because even though I keep looking, I still feel like my system works now, it's pretty easy and it's cheap

I thought about doing some kind of kegging system. I finally determined I like just bottling in beer bottles. Even a small kegging system seemed kinda expensive. A wine dispensing system, IE: wine bag in a box in the fridge, wouldn't allow for carbonation. Neither would a regular beverage dispenser.

I understand why people keg batches when they need to deal with 5 gallons of brew. Honestly though, it just isn't that big of a deal for me to bottle 1 gallon of brew. It's also cheap. I usually get the bottles for free from my friends, and a gross of oxygen absorbing caps costs like 4 bucks.

Picking up some cool hops from Rebel Brewer today- I usually buy 3-6 oz of hops at a time and they last me a month or two and then I order again. $2.99 super saver shipping on hops, they have a moderate but interesting selection with great prices

Really excited to try Centennial, Mosaic, and Pacific Jade, all supposed to be awesome, fruity hops. Really psyched. Also getting an ounce of tettnang for lagers and such.

Leadgolem said:
I thought about doing some kind of kegging system. I finally determined I like just bottling in beer bottles. Even a small kegging system seemed kinda expensive. A wine dispensing system, IE: wine bag in a box in the fridge, wouldn't allow for carbonation. Neither would a regular beverage dispenser.

I understand why people keg batches when they need to deal with 5 gallons of brew. Honestly though, it just isn't that big of a deal for me to bottle 1 gallon of brew. It's also cheap. I usually get the bottles for free from my friends, and a gross of oxygen absorbing caps costs like 4 bucks.

And bottling is kinda relaxing too. With a brew of course..

bellmtbbq said:
Picking up some cool hops from Rebel Brewer today- I usually buy 3-6 oz of hops at a time and they last me a month or two and then I order again. $2.99 super saver shipping on hops, they have a moderate but interesting selection with great prices

Really excited to try Centennial, Mosaic, and Pacific Jade, all supposed to be awesome, fruity hops. Really psyched. Also getting an ounce of tettnang for lagers and such.

2.99 is a great deal. I haven't tried rebel brewer maybe I'll give them a shot. I have been reading about pacific jade and mosaic too and i think mosaic would make a great SMASH

Yeah I've read about both of those as well and I guess I may be stubborn or just enjoying the way I do beer now because even though I keep looking, I still feel like my system works now, it's pretty easy and it's cheap

"it's cheap"

yep... do you know how many batches of beer it would take, at less than a gallon a batch... to even remotely touch the cost of a kegging system?

and there is the other part... we would probably empty a keg in a single sitting, especially if there were friends over.

makes great sense for the big batch guys, but not for me

are those whole hops?

Im not sure its worth it for such a small amount of beer. I thought of setting something up for that and the mini kegs are a pain to clean so I was leaning towards tad or reusing the coors kegs

dadshomebrewing said:
are those whole hops?

Nah... Pellets. I like working with them in one gallon batches, don't loose as much to absorption.

Also thinking about picking up 4 oz of Summer (AU) hops. Delicate flavor/aroma hop, apricots and melon, a little spiciness, apparently.

I'm brewing gents! I'm trying a double batch simultaneously .. I'm prepped well but I'll see just how well I can multitask... I'm sure I will have a story or two...lol

Man I need some smaller pots. I have 2- 1.5 gallon batches one in 5 gallon pot and 1 in a 10 gallon lol

image-1164099343.jpg

i have to ask this... where did you get the screen name ReaderRabbit

that was the very first software product i bought for my very first pc, in 1984 (i think).

I played a lot of educational video games as a kid (I wish Agent USA got updated the way Oregon Trail does) and I always liked the sound of Reader Rabbit, even if I didn't like the game by the time I got to try it. Plus, my Chinese zodiac sign is the rabbit, so it put two things about me together.

divrguy, that was what I thought when I saw your pic, "Those pots look pretty big for a small batch!" :)

20121229_135259.jpg

I think the smallest batch I can pull off in this setup is 1.25 gallons thats so I dont risk dry firing the element. Right now im running auto tune too get it set right. Then its getting a good scrubbing and I may be brewing a batch tomorrow to test it out

I'm brewing gents! I'm trying a double batch simultaneously .. I'm prepped well but I'll see just how well I can multitask... I'm sure I will have a story or two...lol

Man I need some smaller pots. I have 2- 1.5 gallon batches one in 5 gallon pot and 1 in a 10 gallon lol

Looks like fun. What are you brewing

cheesecake said:
I think the smallest batch I can pull off in this setup is 1.25 gallons thats so I dont risk dry firing the element. Right now im running auto tune too get it set right. Then its getting a good scrubbing and I may be brewing a batch tomorrow to test it out

Dude that looks awesome!

cheesecake said:
Looks like fun. What are you brewing

Have a Santiam SMASH and a Porter. Done with mash for both and just added first hops to both. So far so good. I switched my 10 gallon for my 7.5 but I will still have a big evap rate on this pot. Lots of surface area

divrguy said:
Have a Santiam SMASH and a Porter. Done with mash for both and just added first hops to both. So far so good. I switched my 10 gallon for my 7.5 but I will still have a big evap rate on this pot. Lots of surface area

I have an iPod and my phone doing my timers so I don't get confused. Stickies on the hops too

Man does my backyard smell great!! Lol

20121229_135259.jpg

holy crap, cheese... i'm impressed

Just finished putting everything up and cleaning. Good day except my OG on the Santiam SMASH came out high because I evaporated about an extra quart. May have to go pick up another small cheap 4-5 gallon pot

I just bottled my first AG, one gallon hefewiezen.

It's a pretty special one, as all the grains were homegrown and home malted, and the hops are from my backyard, too.

Wouldn't have had the guts to try a small, AG batch if not for this thread. Thanks everyone!

BorealBrewer said:
I just bottled my first AG, one gallon hefewiezen.

It's a pretty special one, as all the grains were homegrown and home malted, and the hops are from my backyard, too.

Wouldn't have had the guts to try a small, AG batch if not for this thread. Thanks everyone!

That's awesome! I wouldn't even know where to begin to malt my own grains. Good job!

I mixed up 3 batches tonight. A 3 gallon batch of blueberry wine, the first accidental batch came out so well I thought I should make enough that I will actually let some age. :) A 1 gallon of cranberry wine. Plus a 1 gallon of whatever it is you get when you ferment real maple syrup.

I finally have a couple days off and it was time to scratch the brewing itch. :mug:

Back