About ready to quit brewing, help...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I made my first batch I rehydrated my yeast in wort and pitched it at about 80 degrees and even though I fermented at 65, I got a stuck fermentation at .040 on a beer that had an OG of .048. I was kind of at a loss so I rehydrated some Champagne Yeast (it was all I had) in water (according to the directions. Go figure) and re-pitched. It kicked off after about a day and fermented down to .010. My beer ended up dryer than planned, but it turned out very drinkable.

Yes, I learned some valuable lessons...

I wouldn't go straight to trying this, though. Excellent tip on restarting a stuck fermentation, but I would recommend making sure that it is in fact stuck before trying this. Or else you might end up with a beer that is both REALLY dry and with no flavor! :drunk:

This entire thread is pure speculation until you buy a new hydrometer and measure your FG.

+1

I would think maybe an occasional stuck fermentation but unlikely to be this frequent.

I agree with a previous response, get an inexpensive extract kit and follow the directions as closely as possible. Try to note if there are any differences in the instructions from what you normally do.

Could it be a problem to pitch yeast into wort which is still at about 80F before adding the carboy to a 68-70 degree swamp cooler? That is what I generally do as it takes forever to cool my wort much below that. Could this be shocking the yeast and causing issues with fermentation?

I'm pretty sure that is why mine got stuck. I think I pitched too hot and fermented too high. I pitch and ferment my ales at 62-65 now.

There is really no reason to do anything with your beer until you get a hydrometer is there?. Just leave it in the fermenter and check the gravity after you pick one up.

If it is stuck you can deal with it and pitch at a lower temp next time.

That's the correct way to do it.

I think it must be stuck fermentation issues. How well are you aerating before pitching/what's your aeration method? If you're not getting enough O2 in the wort, your yeast could be quittin before their job is done. It could be that when you're bottling, the change in environment (amount of sugar, temperature, slight oxygenation) is kickin those little suckers back into action, leading to all the sugar that still remains getting fermented.

Don't try any more batches until you get your hydrometer. Then, make a batch the same way you did whenever you had these problems, and take a reading after 2 weeks in primary and 2 weeks in secondary. My money is that it'll be higher than you'd think.

EDIT: Also, is your buddy using the exact same equipment? I mean, EXACT same. Same spoon to stir, same hosing, and same water/ingredients? Is there any single, individual piece, no matter how insignificant it might seem, that he uses that you don't? If so, replace that piece ASAP. If not, if it's truly exactly the same, then you know it's something you're doing differently. Have him brew a batch, and take DETAILED notes of his process. See if anything that he does jumps out as being completely different than what you do.

Aeration method on last few batches has been to run wort through a filter to catch hop residue (seems to help aerate) and then shake the crap out of it. Prior to that I was using an O2 tank and blasting the wort for about 90 seconds. Made bad beer both ways.

There are some small differences between my buddies set up and mine. That was why I got a couple of new carboys and new blow off tube. The carboys and blowoffs were each individually owned so I thought the problem may lie there. There is definitely a spoon or two that is separate too.

I will follow your advice and run a similar brew day once I get my hydrometer. Will also get a new O2 tank so that I will know there is enough oxygen in there.

Update on this one as I did get a new hydrometer.

FG on the stout I have going is 1.012. This is almost perfect (brew software said I should be at 1.013), presuming I hit the correct OG.

If this stout still ends up infected then I think I can presume it is not a stuck fermentation.

Well the stout seems to be fine so far. I did end up buying all new bottling equipment before bottling the stout so maybe that helped. I have done 2-3 batches recently that don't seem to have been infected, at least not yet.

I am guessing there was just a bug somewhere in the bottling set up.

Latest posts

Back