Got black soot all over te bottom of my keggle and want to know tricks on cleaning ..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedOctober

Reaction score
I recently found the soap on the bottom of the pot trick (too late unfortunately) Of course this technique must be employed pre-boil, since I have a post boil, sooty, ugly pot bottom I'm looking for ideas on how to clean it, if it can even be cleaned.

Was your burner running clean? Blue flame vs. orange and sooty?

As far as cleaning, the suggestions above are in line with what I would recommend myself. Get ready to scrub!

Red October: Spray on oven cleaner works great on any carbon or organic based crud on glass or stainless. Get the kind w sodium hydroxide and use std. precautions.( Don't use anything w chlorine bleach on stainless.) It is very water soluble, easily neutralized with any acid and is not a pollutant in the sewer or septic tank. Outside is best.

Just got a new jet burner and the keggle bottoms are now black soot. I never had that before. Is this something worng with the burner?

Just got a new jet burner and the keggle bottoms are now black soot. I never had that before. Is this something worng with the burner?

My burner did this to my pot the first couple brews when it was new too. It doesn't anymore - probably just some oils burning off dirty. Keep an eye on the flame color like others have mentioned, it should clean up for you.

To fix, run some hot water/soap over the bottom of the kettle, then scrub with your bare fingers/hand, and then (I know this part sounds funny but it's the key) - rub your nose like crazy. Then you can use another tactic mentioned earlier - I used Bar Keepers Friend.

Use of a mirror after you touch your face will mess everything up. ;)

Hi guys,

I have the same problem. Big yellow flame :/
I didn't find any place where I could adjust air flow?

Any clue?

Thanks

12025310.jpg

11992010.jpg

There is no "window" or "shutter" on your burner?

What about the metal sleeve in the pic, on the gas inlet tube to the burner, does it slide or rotate to expose an opening?

Latest posts

Back