Brewing time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozzy

Reaction score
To start i am new to the hole brewing thing and i started my own batch of a kit ginger beer about 2 and a half weeks ago
it has been sitting in the fermenter for that 2 and a half weeks at a constant temperature of 22c. The package it came with says wait to bottle until it stop bubbling through the airlock.

Now down at the local brew store they said it should stop bubbling after about a week, does this mean that something has gone wrong with the brewing process for it to have gone for over 2 weeks?

Cheers

Not necessarily, my first one (the one I am on now) "bubbled" for almost 3 weeks. That's not to say it was fermenting the whole time although I suppose it could be. It can either be co2 coming of the yeast cake or dissolved co2 in the beer itself. You should never judge fermentation from airlock activity. The only real way to know if it has stopped fermenting is by taking a gravity reading with a hydrometer and checking it for changes over a period of three or so days. If it has stopped dropping more than likely it's done fermenting and the bubbling is just excess co2. Either way leave it for about 2 more weeks your beer will thank you for it.

Back