Hop schedule for an IIPA (dry hopping)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Photopilot

Reaction score
I had brewed an IIPA and the schedule called for an ounce of hops to be added every 15 minutes finished with an ounce of Simco at 5 minutes remaining in the boil.
Simco 60 min
Amarillo 45 min
Amarillo 30 min
Amarillo 15 min
Simco 5 min
Unfortunately my LHB store left out this final ounce. The beer now sits in the secondary. Should I dry hop some simco to compensate for this last addition omission?

I have made an IPA with dry-hopped simcoes twice, both times with outstanding results. A little green at first, then after about a month it hits its prime, then mellows out a tad bit too much. Unlike any IPA you'll find in the store for sure.

But, I'm a lupomaniac.

I use between 1/2oz and 1oz of pellets. Reattach the blowoff hose, too, because as those pellets dissolve they'll create a bunch of nucleation sites for the CO2 to escape.

EDIT: Just saw you're in SLC. Me, too. Cheers! Go tell the guys at the Beer Nut that they forgot your hops!

"A little green at first, then after about a month it hits its prime, then mellows out ".....

My last IPA was made with 3 different hops all with high #s, and it was dry hopped also... it was bitter, slap you in the face with hops at two weeks! After four weeks it was a darn good beer!

mrk305 said:
"A little green at first, then after about a month it hits its prime, then mellows out ".....

My last IPA was made with 3 different hops all with high #s, and it was dry hopped also... it was bitter, slap you in the face with hops at two weeks! After four weeks it was a darn good beer!

I want to make one of those knock-you-on-your-ass kind of IPA's here soon. Our shop just got some Summits in (18%AA). mmmmmm.

I recently made an IPA with a TON of hop flavor/armoa. Bittered with warrior, finished with 4oz EACH of simcoe, amarillo and sorachi ace. It was suppose to be a 10 gallon batch but ended up being a 9 gallon after the boil was done. Them whole hops soak up a bunch of liquid. I ALSO dry hopped in both carboys 1oz each of simcoe and sorachi ace. Went with 2 different yeasts. 3552 belg. ardens and 1272 AM ale 2. OG was 1.066. FG was 1.020 with the 3552 and 1.012 with the 1272. both are awesome! My advise is dry hop with at least 4 oz of something! Simcoe is good, amarillo is also good. Why not dry hop with both?

Stick with the theme: Amarillo and Simcoe. An ounce of each would do. I made a DFH 60min clone a few weeks ago, sipping on one now they make for a fantastic combination.

I agree with Beerrific. An ounce of each for a few days will work just fine. It won't be the same as a 5 minute hop addition to the boil, but it will be good.

TL

Let it clear for 3 weeks then dry hop with an ounce of simcoe for a week. Check for flavor and do another round of dry hopping if desired. I've done three successive dry hoppings on a single batch.

david_42 said:
Let it clear for 3 weeks then dry hop with an ounce of simcoe for a week. Check for flavor and do another round of dry hopping if desired. I've done three successive dry hoppings on a single batch.

.........mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmm.................. 3 dry hoppings. Was it Pliney inspired?

Back