Found hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amity

Reaction score
Someone down the alley from me is growing hops in their backyard, and I picked a bunch that were growing over the fence (I asked permission first). I've gotten about 2oz dried, and I'm going to harvest a bunch more from inside the yard next week. However, I have no real idea what they may be. They have a really nice smell to them.
Should I just try them out by dry hopping first, or what? I'm mostly brewing extracts right now.

Why don't you ask what kind they are? If they are just ornamental, then they may be sunbeam, a very common garden variety of hop.

A lot of the garden stores around here sell Cluster Hops as their ornamental variety. I'd pick a leaf and a cone then do an internet search, there are a few sites that you can compare them to and narrow down the variety.

Well, I've picked a whole bunch - probably near 5 oz dried. Doing an online search brought up some possibilities of Chinook hops. The tag on the bottom of the plant said it was Humulus Lupulus "Nordbrau". A search on that name doesn't bring up much information.

Ah well, I'll give them a shot! :)

Yeah, that's pretty much it! I ended up with about 5oz of dried hops from the pickings. :ban:

Back