Stupid Dog!!!!! can you measure grain by volume?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kind of. I find that two cups of grain is about .9 lbs or so, give or take. If I fill the cup up so its heaping, its about 1 lb. its not perfect, but it may get you through in a pinch.

According to Wiki (take that fwiw), Malted Barley is 34lbs per 8 gallons (1 bushel).

So if your recipe calls for 10lbs of base grain, you would want 10/34 of 8 gallons or 2.35 gallons.

You could then use the percentages of your grain bill to calculate your specialty grains. 16 cups per gallon.

have fun with that :p

have you got a bathroom scale?

Fill a grocery bag with 10 scoops from a measuring cup.. Stand on the scale and subtract your weight from the total of you and the grain. You can then get a rough approximation of weight per volume.

I measured it out once and two row was slightly less than a quart per pound. Just sort of eyeballed it and always got close enough.

I always measure my base malt by volume, because all I have is a blade scale. A tiny bit more than three cups is one pound, which conveniently works out to a heaping scoop with my Pyrex cup measure. This method has me hitting my OG perfectly for the last ten or so batches of beer.

Thats good information, all I have is a bathroom scale and it is not accurate, it always shows more than whats's on it :^)
STAT said...
" I measured it out once and two row was slightly less than a quart per pound. Just sort of eyeballed it and always got close enough."

I have a tupperware pitcher, and it holds 3 pounds, when filled to the tippy top. It says "10 cups" right there.

Also, a completely full sour cream/cottage cheese container (the 16 oz size, I think, the one most people seem to have), holds one pound of grain, when completely full.

I hope that helps. If not, I can run to the basement and weigh a cup if you need me to!

My 33oz Maxwell House coffee container holds almost exactly 3lbs of grain. That works better for 2-row than it does for black patent.

It should be noted that crushed grain takes up less volume than whole grain.

yes, a two cup measuring cup slightly heaping times 5 was seven pounds last night, this was with golden promise malt.

^never mind re: the use of this as my cup has probably another half cup above the two cup mark thats not marked, and everyones measuring cups have different configurations....

I've found that 5 pounds of base grain will make it into a 1 gallon freezer ziplock bag but it's tight. I mean you can just barely close the zipper. When you get to darker malts, the same 5 pounds takes up more room but about 1.125 quarts per pound is a good enough ballpark for all whole kernal malts.

Yes, this is a good measurement as well.

I've found that 5 pounds of base grain will make it into a 1 gallon freezer ziplock bag but it's tight. I mean you can just barely close the zipper. When you get to darker malts, the same 5 pounds takes up more room but about 1.125 quarts per pound is a good enough ballpark for all whole kernal malts.

Got a Wally World near you? Or a Bed Bath and Beyond? Probably a drugstore?

You can probably find a digital for about $20, quickly. I have a Harbor Freight store nearby and got mine for $20.

Short answer: Yes, you can measure grain by volume. In fact, on the farms, the measure that is used is by the bushel, where barley has a weight of 60 lbs to the bushel. Wheat has a different weight per bushel. And that is my caveat. Wheat will weigh differently for a given volume than barley will. So you might want to be aware of that. Also, I would think that different roasts of barley will give a different weight for a given volume, but on a home brew scale, I think that the differences would be minimal. Mark

um, I guess I do bigger batches but I find that a 6.5 Gallon bucket holds about 30 lbs of grain.... I usually need about 3 buckets : )

Latest posts

Back