Critique this All-Grain Wheat IPA: "IPAnkelweiss II"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernerbrau

Reaction score
I have a particular fondness for this recipe, the first I ever wrote and the second I ever brewed. It wasn't a particularly great batch; I had plenty of problems since I was still getting my process down, but it was a hit among family members at my wedding.

This is my final recipe from before:

3lb Amber DME
3lb X-light DME
1lb Crystal 80L (60min steep @155)
1/4c Sugar in the Raw

1oz Nugget @60
1oz Palisade @15
1oz Cascade @Dry

WB-06

I wasn't sure what to call it back then; I was looking for a hybrid IPA/Dunkelweizen so I called it Ipankelweiss. Granted there was no munich in it but I had not yet heard of the BJCP :eek:.

I used WB-06 which made it come out tasting like banana bread initially. I want to replicate that but on a much more subdued level, so I picked WLP320 American Hefe.

I also want to re-work the hop schedule to make it, well, hoppier, since I was smack in the middle of a hop shortage back then and used 3 whole ounces.

Finally, I decided to ditch the 1/4 cup of turbinado sugar which works out to just under 2 ounces, which has barely any effect on the brew at all.

Since it is brewed in the legacy of the old recipe, I will call it IPAnkelweiss II, and I will classify it as a Wheat IPA.

The new recipe:

4# 2-row
4# pale wheat
2# flaked wheat
1# crystal 20L
1# crystal 80L

Protein Rest 103F for 20 minutes
Alpha Rest 151F for 60 minutes
Decoct to ~170F for 30 minutes for mashout
Sparge to collect 5 gallons + estimated boiloff (for me, 7 gal)

1oz Nugget @FWH
1oz Cascade @15
1oz Palisade @10
1oz Cascade @5
1oz Palisade @5
1oz Cascade @flameout
1oz Palisade @flameout
2oz Cascade @dry

WLP320, 1 quart 3-day starter

14 days primary
21 days secondary
Prime with carb tabs
21+ days bottle conditioned

What do you think?

too much crystal IMO - I'd switch out the 20L for a 1# of Munich....

then again, I just like a pound of munich in all my beers...

I used to have a link to a really good article about massive late additions.

While you try and find it, here is a picture of my taste tester...

photo-19-1.jpg

I made a 1/3 each wheat/rye/pale malt with WB-06 and overhopped it with some nice citrusy hops, and it was far from my favorite. I have also made a Belgian tripel (which I am quite fond of the style) and overhopped it to make a Belgian IPA. I didnt like that one either. It seems I like yeast flavors -OR- hoppy goodness. I love IPAs, I love Belgians, but they are 2 different styles for a reason. I don't want to discourage you from experimenting, but just wanted to relay my experience.

I made a 1/3 each wheat/rye/pale malt with WB-06 and overhopped it with some nice citrusy hops, and it was far from my favorite. I have also made a Belgian tripel (which I am quite fond of the style) and overhopped it to make a Belgian IPA. I didnt like that one either. It seems I like yeast flavors -OR- hoppy goodness. I love IPAs, I love Belgians, but they are 2 different styles for a reason. I don't want to discourage you from experimenting, but just wanted to relay my experience.

Just refining on a beer I've already done. I figure I know what to expect.

And by all accounts the WLP320 produces a lot less esters than WB-06.

Latest posts

Back