Forgot the 5.2 water stabilizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdsarch

Reaction score
I just realized that I forgot to use any ph stabilizer in my last all grain brew this past Saturday. The wort started fermenting by Sunday morning, and is almost done in the primary.

Do you think that forgetting the ph stabilizer could be a problem?

How was your efficiency and gravity? Unless you have really jacked up water I wouldn't sweat it now.

My beersmith recipe figured an og of 1.053. I measured it at 1.052. So pretty close. My efficiency was pretty good as well.

Probably no problem. I don't think I have added it to half my brews.

Definately wouldn't worry about it seeing as how you have forgot it before. I've done the same thing and still made good beer.

I have never had my water tested & never used stabalizer or anything else. I think I make some good beer, anybidy else who has had my beer tends to agree.

No worries.

I never add stabilizer, and the few times I have checked the pH of my mash, it was spot on. I wouldn't worry, unless you have jacked up water, see what the FG is, if you get expected attenuation, I wouldn't worry, and you can save some coin as well.

I just bought the test strips and 5.2 When I got home I ran some water in a glass out of my tap and dipped a test strip. It came out pink but the color choices on the package are a variation of orange to brown. Any idea what this means?

Linc

I just bought the test strips and 5.2 When I got home I ran some water in a glass out of my tap and dipped a test strip. It came out pink but the color choices on the package are a variation of orange to brown. Any idea what this means?

Linc

The pH of the water is not important. The pH of the mash is what you need to test.

What is the range of the test strips? Should be listed on the package. IMO, the paper pH strips are worthless - buy the plastic ones (colorpHast) or a pH meter.

The pH of the water is not important. The pH of the mash is what you need to test.

What is the range of the test strips? Should be listed on the package. IMO, the paper pH strips are worthless - buy the plastic ones (colorpHast) or a pH meter.

Got ya. So the water PH will change once the grain has been added?

I apologize to OP but I have one more question.

In what order do you normally adjust the PH then?

I am assuming I would mash in, check the PH, then add the 5.2 buffer if needed, then check again. I recirculate my mash so this would probably work. What would you do if you were not recirculating?

Linc

I didn't add stabilized during today's brew day and I hit 60% efficiency... I normally hit around 80%.

It could be the recipe or the grain, but I like to think the 5.2pH buffer helps my water quite a bit.

Denny, I was just listening to your Sunday Show appearance. Just a slice of it on my lunch hour, actually.

Do you correct your water for different beer styles or colors?

I was in a hurry and forgot 5.2 on my last batch, missed my gravity by 10 points.

Thanks for all the responses. For some reason I keep forgetting to add it, but i think i will be okay.

Denny, I was just listening to your Sunday Show appearance. Just a slice of it on my lunch hour, actually.

Do you correct your water for different beer styles or colors?

For very dark beers, I add a tsp. of CaCO3 to the mash. I know from experience and previous testing that that amount will do it. For very light beers, I either add a tsp. of lactic acid to the mash or cut my water 50/50 with distilled water. I decide which of those to do based on the style I'm brewing.

Back