Homebrew for Christmas.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_Dog

Orange whip?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made a batch of Orfy's Hobgoblin II for family Christmas presents. I labeled the bottles and made a nice note to go with the 6 packs. Other than my brother my family members have not tasted my homebrew...

It occurred to me yesterday that I plan on giving my family a 6 pack of beer only. I know you or I would appreciate a gift like this but we like homebrew. Do you think the average person will like a gift like this?

Cheers!!! :mug:
Chris

I think its a fine gift as long as they drink beer and you think they would enjoy something like the one you brewed. Who's going to be upset about getting free beer?

my folks don't drink or smoke... my mother might have a margarita but she won't touch beer with a 10 foot pole...

giving them some homebrew, a labor of love, to them would be under appreciated and would be a complete waste.

if your family are drinking and would appreicate your labor of love, then by all means!! i know i'd love some homebrew for xmas :D

I ran down to the local Cost Plus Imports, and picked up few dozen pint glasses that have the logos from a number of micro breweries, primarily west coast ones. Anyway, the glasses are about three bucks each. You can get plain pint glasses for two bucks each. Two glasses, and a six pack, and you have not put yourself in the poor house.

What you have given them is a gift that you put your heart into making. You are also showing them the proper procedure by which to peruse the pleasures of the elegant elixir that you so craftily concocted.

This covers all of the guys in the family, and a few of the women. For the rest of the women, my wife makes up more "girlie" gift baskets.

Next year I am going to do "beer t-shirts".
There is a company out of Hawaii that makes commercial t-shirts and sweatshirts, I own a few of them. The find unusual ways to dye the shirts. I have one dark grey sweatshirt that was dyed with lava rock from. Another is a deep red color, from some of the soil over there, but I don't have one of those. My favorite one so far, and I own one of these, was dyed a great golden color with beer from one of the micro breweries over in Hawaii. I want to pick up some good heavy duty white t-shirts, and then dye them with different batches of my beer. What does a hefe shirt look like? How about an Edmund Fitzgerald tank top? Will my dunkleweizen look as good as it tastes? Only time will tell.

Professor Frink said:
I gave away homebrew last Christmas, everyone loved it so much that people are asking for it this year.

That is what I wanter to hear!!!

BraeHaus my Mom is the same way I wouldn't even think of giving her beer. Maybe some Aplewein next year!

I was thinking about doing the same thing. My family is not made up of a lot of beer drinkers, so I was wondering if I would just be wasting my HB. I think if the labels were good enough, they would use them as decoration possibly. You never know, maybe your gift will inspire them to join you in your obsession. The beers I will be giving away will be AHS Canadian Ale and AHS Northland Ale; these won't be to hard for the average BMCer to drink. I think in my family some AW would probably be appreciated more but oh well. Even if they don't drink them, you will have some at their house next time you're over.

For the guys in the family, my wife and I are making "gift baskets" of homebrew. I'm putting 2 each of my FatTire clone, Orfy's Hobgoblin clone, and Ed's Apfelwein. We made our new labels and changed the colors and details of each label slightly for each brew. Then we got some nice pint glasses (didn't have time to have them etched professionally, but it would have been nice) we'll be putting in the basket. We got some silver "filler" for the baskets, some ribbon to dress up the baskets a bit....and my wife assured me it wouldn't be too girly. So we're rolling those out to all the 21+ men in the family.

Most of them have brewed beer or wine before, or appreciate good beer (even if the only good stuff they drink is when I bring mine over). So none of this will be wasted!

One of the guys in the office had a great idea, that I should give away a "gift certificate" for homebrew for our Secret Santa (it's one of those deals, I think a "Yankee Swap", where people "steal" presents from each other). Think I'm going to do that; I'll brew the recipient a case of whatever they'd like. Probably throw in a nice bottle of something fancy (commerical) as well.

I've got two beers on tap for those who come over on christmas eve comma usually about 50 people so. It gets to be a great druken time. This will the first time they will be able to tap the beers themselves though so I can drink more and not have to worry about breaking glasses while trying to fill other peoples glasses. BTW the two beers are a Belgium Wit and a Belgium Tripel.

My brother always give me a ride back home for family gatherings, so I hook him up with personal six packs of whatever brews are current. I have to bring at least another case with me for my other siblings to sample because mom and pop don't keep real beer in the house.

Back