Pushed the stopper all the way in!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cha ngo

Reaction score
Made up a batch of brown ale this weeked. As usual, when the wort was properly chilled and transferred to the primary (5 gal glass carboy), I proceeded to insert a rubber stopper on the top in order to shake some air into it (i.e. "aerate"). Well, I don't know if it was the amount of beer I had consumed during the brewing process or what, but damned if I didn't push the stopper all the way into the frigging carboy! Now I don't know if I should worry (heaven forbid!) or wind my wristwatch. What I think happened is that a vacuum was created by a temperature differential somehow and the stopper actually got sucked into the fermentor. Anybody else ever had this happen to them?

Yes, it's happened to me. When the stopper is wet, and the mouth of the carboy is wet- that sucker slips right in. I have extra stoppers, though, so I just left it. I do use carboy caps more often now, and this is just one of the reasons why!

Lorena

Yooper Brewmistress said:
When the stopper is wet, and the mouth of the carboy is wet- that sucker slips right in.
Lorena
Shouldn't this be posted in the Homebrewing terms that sound dirty but really aren't thread? :D

Seriously. I've just about had enough with rubber stoppers. I also have a problem with them not staying in when they are wet. I push them down and they pop right back out. It's even worse now that I'm using StarSan.
I think I'll give those carboy caps a try. :mug:

RichBrewer said:
Seriously. I've just about had enough with rubber stoppers. I also have a problem with them not staying in when they are wet. I push them down and they pop right back out. It's even worse now that I'm using StarSan.
I think I'll give those carboy caps a try. :mug:

Try these They work great

rdwj said:
Try these They work great

Seconded. I have carboy caps, but I use the universal bungs; they just feel like they make a tighter seal than the caps. Never had a problem with them not fitting tightly or sealing properly. I just bring out the caps for siphoning.

Back