ofry's brown stuck ferm what to try next

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flipfloptan

Reaction score
I have my first stuck fermentation and it happened on my first try with liquid yeast.

Here are the facts

Ofry's mild brown biab. Use white labs wlp 0002 english ale yeast with starter.

Mashed at 157 for 60 min. 5.5 gallons in fermenter at og of 1.040. Little high due to efficiency. Pitched at 72 degrees. 3 week fermentation at 66 degree wort temp.

Hydro test read last two days 1.020. Only 50% attenuation and smells like horse pee.

I raised temp to 70 degrees and roused yeast with a gentle, no air, stir with no luck.

Im thinking of harvesting some S05 from yooper pale ale i made and make starter and pitch or i can order some notty or S04 on next order and pitch.

What is the best decision?

Repitching rarely works. You can't get any O2 in the beer because you will oxidize the beer. The new yeast will not do much for this reason.

I say bottle it and wait and see how it turns out. How low do you need to go on the FG anyway......

Mashing at 157 means lots of unfermentables. That's the beauty of that beer- rich flavor and body but lower alcohol. I wouldn't be able to mash that high and get it under about 1.016 though.

It's a combination of the WLP002/Wyeast1968 yeast and a high mash temp. Orfy used Nottingham which will chew through pretty much anything. I did pretty much the same recipe but with WLP005 (which attenuates slightly better than WLP002) with a 154 mash and it tried to stop at 1.018. I had to agitate it a few times over the next couple days to get it down to 1.014 which was still higher than I wanted but tasted great.

In all likely hood with WLP002, the high mash of 157, 20% medium crystal you're probably done. Agitate it once or twice and test it again in 2 or 3 days.

Mashing at 157 means lots of unfermentables. That's the beauty of that beer- rich flavor and body but lower alcohol. I wouldn't be able to mash that high and get it under about 1.016 though.

I feel like I'm stalking you over the last 2 or 3 days with WLP002/Wyeast1968 yeasts.

I feel like I'm stalking you over the last 2 or 3 days with WLP002/Wyeast1968 yeasts.

Hahaha- I guess we do keep bumping into each other!

As swampass said, nottingham will get FAR higher attenuation figures than 002. When you are mashing higher, and using a high percentage of crystal, it's important to aerate the wort well and use a higher attenuating yeast strain.

I think your beer is simply done, but I can't explain the "horse piss" flavor.

Back