Second Brew ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeepGuy

Reaction score
So, now that I'm looking at bottling my first brew; I'm looking at what my next one should be. I'm thinking about maybe a wheat or a red ale (I'm leaning more towards the red ale). Anybody have some experience with these that can get me pointed in the right direction. I'll prolly ask some at the home brewshop, but am wondering what you all have to say about it. Also, I'm wonder what I may have to do different from my first brew. My first one is an IPA that I made from an already hopped can of malt. Any thoughts?

JeepGuy said:
So, now that I'm looking at bottling my first brew; I'm looking at what my next one should be. I'm thinking about maybe a wheat or a red ale (I'm leaning more towards the red ale). Anybody have some experience with these that can get me pointed in the right direction. I'll prolly ask some at the home brewshop, but am wondering what you all have to say about it. Also, I'm wonder what I may have to do different from my first brew. My first one is an IPA that I made from an already hopped can of malt. Any thoughts?

A red sounds good with St. Paddy's coming up--and we have a thread going on it right now that will hopefully get some good recipes posted in it.

A suggestion for you--next time just use unhopped LME/DME and steep some grains. You'll improve the quality of your beer BIGTIME. :) If oyu have questions about that, ask around in the extract forum. LOTS of great info from these guys.

How much trouble do you want to go to? There are decent "wort-in-a-bag" red ales out there, but it is also pretty easy to make a beer that you'll be very happy with from an extract recipe or as mentioned above, by improving an extract or a kit with some steeped grain action.

Yeah, I'm only getting ready to bottle the first brew. I haven't gotten far enough into it to know about steeping grains, so I'll prolly check out the extract forum for some tips. Sorry for the noob question, but what is DME/LME? Is there a thread somewhere on this site that explains some of the more common abreviations?

Back