wort chiller "bends"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickeldeposit

Reaction score
So for those of you that have built your own wort chiller what did you use to make nice tight bend in the tubing?

I made an immersion chiller really fast yesterday and I used a piece of 4" pvc pipe for the bends that go up.

Edit: I used 3/8 OD copper tubing. What are you using?

I made an immersion chiller really fast yesterday and I used a piece of 4" pvc pipe for the bends that go up.

Edit: I used 3/8 OD copper tubing. What are you using?

I'm going with 3/8" or 1/2". Did the tubing bend nicly around the 4" pvc without kinking?

Yes it bent pretty nice. I have bent 1/2" soft copper around 4" as well.

This is the 3/8" at the bend.
P1010062-1.jpg

This is the 1/2". This is another project. You can see that it flattened out. The outer coil is the 1/2".
P1010096.jpg

Yeah, they slide down the tube to be used wherever you need the bend. You can aslo use the sand trick that KingKeg meantioned...salt or sugar work well as substitues to keep the tube from kinking.

I dont really see filling the tube as a real option. It just sounds like a mess and a pain in the as$. But is do like the HD bender option. How well do they work, how tight can you go before criping?

I used a spring bender I picked up from Menards. Cost around $2 and its in the plumping section. I just stuck that on, then took a corny keg and bent it around it. Worked out really well. You just keep sliding it up as your working.

Yeah I've done it around kegs with great success and soldered the 90's on. Looking to make one with just bends, I'll give the spring bender a try.

A spring bender is the way to go. They are cheap and work well. If you are using 3/8 copper you really don't need a bender for making the coil, just for the bends for your supply and return runs.

Hey Klyph, I wunder what a flair on the bottom of those dip tubes would do for ya?

I considered it, but after extensive calculations, the added velocity would break the anti-matter threshold, triggering a black hole formation (which would make an excellent whirlpool, but destroy the known universe).

Latest posts

Back