Weight Capacity, 2x2x1/8 square tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schneemann

Reaction score
EDIT: Title says 1/4, I meant 1/8

[MOD EDIT] - Fixed.

I found an awesome deal on some material, 2x2x1/8 square tube.

I'm fixin to build a stand which needs to hold a 55gal. HLT, a 30gal. MLT and 30gal. kettle.

This is gonna be a single tier design with 6 legs and cross bracing.

Can this material do it?

Absolutely. I wouldn't worry about it a bit. My system is single tier, each vessel one barrel (31 gal.)Mine is made completely out of rolled 2x2 galvanized tube, 16 gauge. 16 gauge is approximately .06 of an inch. 1/8" = .125 or approximately 10 - 11 gauge. So your wall thickness is twice what mine is.

So you are good to go! I have had me, my brother and everything filled up standing on the stand with no problems.

The kegs weigh around 70# each empty.

Here's a pic of her in action last Sunday:

Mash-Sparge.jpg

A 1/8" thick walled 2" square tubing has just under 1 square inch of steel area in its cross section. With short lengths of typical brew stand size, the tube is MORE than adequate to hold the weight you would put on it. Tube steel is typically 46,000 PSI material. I am pretty sure a few hundred pounds wont be an issue.

I recently designed a small impact cage using 1/12" thick walled tubes that was good for a 6000 pound impact load.

You could probably park your car on it without a problem. I doubt a hurricane could blow it away either.

Absolutely. I wouldn't worry about it a bit. My system is single tier, each vessel one barrel (31 gal.)Mine is made completely out of rolled 2x2 galvanized tube, 16 gauge. 16 gauge is approximately .06 of an inch. 1/8" = .125 or approximately 10 - 11 gauge. So your wall thickness is twice what mine is.

So you are good to go! I have had me, my brother and everything filled up standing on the stand with no problems.

where did you find those kegs?

the steel will be fine.

dave

In case you did not get enough feedback, you should have no problem with the 2" sq. tube. The key will be finding a good welder. If you have someone who knows what they're doing, your steel will be the weak link and it should support you weight is a good factor of safety.

The only issue you need to worry about is if the steel tube gets too hot. Steel starts losing a lot of strength when it heats to 400 degrees F or more. Just keep the tube out of the flames and it will stay strong.

I also second what davefj40 said. Where did you get the kegs???

I hate to rehash an old thread, but I just saw this pic and had to comment. Yes, I AM drooling. 1BBL system, ftw. :ban:

Back