quat sanitizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

friarjohn

Reaction score
anyone use quat sanitizer to sanitize bottles and equipement? my wife can get me it from work for cheap...comes as a liquid...

We have that stuff at the hospital, but only for medical equipment and stuff, not for foodstuffs. The kitchen uses something else, rated for food service. I think quat is less effective as a sanitizer than a food rated sanitizer.

i guess i should have stated that she works in a kitchen. maybe ill just use it for cleaning.

Quat can sanitize like chlorine bleach. 200ppm is the min level, and don't go above 400 ppm. have her get you some test strips to use.

A buddy of mine uses "multi-quat" sanitizer at his catering business. I'm not really sure what a quat is, or why multiple ones would be better ... but it's got a picture of a cook on the instruction sheet, so it must be OK :)

A buddy of mine uses "multi-quat" sanitizer at his catering business. I'm not really sure what a quat is, or why multiple ones would be better ... but it's got a picture of a cook on the instruction sheet, so it must be OK :)

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Take a look at the warnings and cautions here and then decide whether or not it's the best choice for brewing.

Quaternary amonia is an FDA approved sanitizer for food service operations. just like chlorine bleach, used in correct concentrations, it is safe.

Quaternary amonia is an FDA approved sanitizer for food service operations. just like chlorine bleach, used in correct concentrations, it is safe.

+1. It's often used in bar 3-basin sinks. Usually comes in little blue tablets to dissolve in the 3rd bay (no rinse). This is one of the big 4 sanitizers for restaurants: sodium hypochlorite, quaternary ammonia, heat, and iodine (which hardly any restaurants use anymore). I guarantee everyone on this board (at least in the US) who has drank/ate at a restaurant, has consumed food or drink from ware sanitized by quaternary ammonia.

+1. It's often used in bar 3-basin sinks. Usually comes in little blue tablets to dissolve in the 3rd bay (no rinse). This is one of the big 4 sanitizers for restaurants: sodium hypochlorite, quaternary ammonia, heat, and iodine (which hardly any restaurants use anymore). I guarantee everyone on this board (at least in the US) who has drank/ate at a restaurant, has consumed food or drink from ware sanitized by quaternary ammonia.

Spoken like a sanitator!

I thought I read somewhere that it doesn’t kill wild yeast and some other critters that star san kills. I get the stuff from work also but I just use it on table tops and surfaces in the brewery.

7 years here. takin' care of it entering and leaving the body for most. Now just entering.

Back