First time conical first time collecting yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KWiK

Reaction score
I bought a induction 15 gallon conical and added a ball valve then a cam lock connector to a 18" long plastic tube.
I did my first batch with the conical and it filled up the tube almost immediately with what I believe was cold break.

The bubbler never did bubble, but I could see a lot of activity in the clear tube on the bottom. I only had about 9.5 gallons in the 15 gallon tank. I am not sure if that was to much expansion space for it or why it didn't bubble.

Anyhow, after 1 week I closed the valve and pulled the tube, and dumped it. After the second week I took 4 pint jars and filled them up from the bottom valve. The first three were thick like soft ice cream. The fourth about half of it was fluid. There is still a ring that can be seen at the bottom of the cone, so the next night I took another pint. It was about 3/4 thick and half fluid. I suspect I will be able to continue getting some thick for a few days as the stuff on the bottom of the cone slowly slides down.

My question is how do I tell what is trub and what is yeast. There doesn't seem to be any separation of the thick stuff. The three first jars actually have a tiny layer of liquid in the middle of the jar.

Back