Dreaming of blowoff tubes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
Up until now, I had never needed a blowoff tube. I did a dozen batches years ago, and nine batches since October and had no issues.

I decided to try 2 packs of US-05 in my blond ale. Maybe because of that, the other night I dreamed that my airlock had blown out of the bottle and foam was everywhere. I had to run around, making a blow off tube. Just a dream, right?

I came home today, and the airlock was full of foam. A little beer had dribbled onto the carpet.

AND, I had to run around, making a blow off tube!

That sucker is going to town!

:eek:

Out of curiosity, why did you use 2 packets of S-05? And BTW, you're not the only one who has nightmares of exploding primaries. I'm not worried about cleaning up the mess, I just don't want a DROP of beer wasted!

I don't know, cleaning up the foamy, funky mess when an airlock explodes off like a rocket can be very, well ugly. Explaining it to SWMBO, priceless. :)

Out of curiosity, why did you use 2 packets of S-05? And BTW, you're not the only one who has nightmares of exploding primaries. I'm not worried about cleaning up the mess, I just don't want a DROP of beer wasted!

I recently had some low attenuation (NOT with US-05, though, it was S33) and wanted to see what 2 packs would do.

I found out...

Yeah, I thought I had the 1.020 curse, but I've got a Pale Ale that hit 1.012 and a Steam that hit 1.010 in just 12 days. Whew!!

Hmm. I have a little blowoff city :p
I call it tube city.

beerk6.jpg

beerk7.jpg

Right out the window!! did i mention that there is zero smell indoors now during the fermenting period? :D bonus!!

Back