Sugar question on End of World Brew day brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Santoka

Reaction score
First the brew - question below

8 # Belgian 2 row
1.5 # Wheat
0.5 # CaraPils
0.5 # Biscuit
0.5 # Flaked Oats
2 oz Special B

1 # Granulated Sugar (household)
0.5 # Piloncillo unrefined cane sugar

5 gallon batch

Mash @ 150 f

Pre-boil = 1.060
Post boil = 1.074
Est Final = 1.015
IBU = 26

1 oz @ 90 min Styrian Goldings
0.5 oz @ 60 min Fuggles
1 oz @ 10 min Saaz

@ 5 min
2g Paradise Seed
Coriander (pinch)

WLP530 Abbey Ale w/ starter

Question is on the sugars. I would really like to keep this light enough to stay to style for Belgian Blonde – the cane sugar pushes this to 8.7L (I know the Special B is not helping here but love the taste).

Would I miss the taste complexity of 8 oz of unrefined cane sugar if I went with all granulated (or corn sugar)? Or is it not enough to make much of an impact?

As an aside, this beer is not being entered into anything (other than my belly) so this is more about me being stuck on an idea of a beer vs anyone measuring it to a style. :cross:

I will be brewing on Sat May 21 – so I am anticipating that the end of the world earth quakes will help oxygenate the wort for improved fermentation! :mug:

BTW,
What are you brewing on the "End of the World" day? (Kinda like "if this was my last brew day...I would brew________")

Thanks in advance for any comments / suggestions - I have found a bunch of great advice on the board and much appreciate it.

All the 2 oz of Special B is going to contribute is color. With the Biscuit in there, you'll need to bump it to 8 oz to taste it. Belgian Brunette?

Thanks for the feedback, not willing to sacrifice the Special B so guess it will have to be at least the dirty blonde.

Latest posts

Back