Using oak spirals for aging.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dukester

Reaction score
I'm working on a recipe for a pale ale based on a one off version of Twilight Ale that Deschutes Brewing made by aging Twilight in Pinot Noir barrels. Super tasty beer.

My thought was to soak a couple of spirals in a jar with a bottle of nice Pinot Noir so the spirals soak up the Pinot and then aging the pale ale on the spirals after fermentation.

It looks as though the spirals will fit in my 6 1/2 gal. carboy just fine but my question is, should I steam the spirals prior to soaking in the Pinot, or will the alcohol and sulfites in the Pinot sterilize the spirals for me?

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,

Dukester

With a low ABV beer, I'd probably steam them to sanitize. Also, 1 spiral is potentially way too much oak. They have a lot of surface area and will contribute a ton of oak character. You can use the whole spiral, but I would taste frequently and pull it as soon as the flavor is where you like.

I was thinking about using half a spiral so it's good to know I was leaning in the right direction as far as how much to use.

Thanks.

Dukester

Dikester, I work in wineries down here in calistoga, have been since i was 16. (this is just so you know my credentials) How long are you planning to soak the oak in that pinot for? Cause you might just want to find some winery up there in OR that is selling old barrels that have been broken down for fire wood and use those cause they will have a bunch of pinot soaked into them. Your more likely to get what your looking for. Just my 2cents

Latest posts

Back