Pizza pairing suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ragutis

Reaction score
This beauty is resting on the cutting board now.
pie.jpg

The pizza is a pepperoni and tomato with shiitake mushrooms sauteed in cippolini onions with mozzarella, fresh parmesan and a little swiss cheese. The crust is fresh made of course.
The beer choices are Boulevard unfiltered wheat, IPA or Pale Ale.
What beer would you suggest?

Maybe I'm too much of a pizza snob AND beer snob. I've never liked having a beer WITH pizza. I have a glass of water or soda with the pizza, then top off the meal with a tasty beer.

...having homemade pizza right now, in fact. Beer to follow, of course!

Not to pick, but if you spell shiitake right, you don't have to worry about the netnanny censoring you. ;)

too late I know, but I like making pizza dough while drinking an IPA, but actually eating the pizza without beer - then switching back to IPA. In fact, I'll be doing the same tomorrow!

I've been using beer for the crust for a while now and it turns out great. Someone left a bunch of Shiner Bock at my house and it makes a tasty crust.
I ended up having the pale ale and an unfiltered wheat with the pizza and they were good. I think the wheat was a little better with the pizza.

Maybe I'm too much of a pizza snob AND beer snob. I've never liked having a beer WITH pizza. I have a glass of water or soda with the pizza, then top off the meal with a tasty beer.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you Yuri. I enjoy a nice IPA/Pale ale before eating pizza to wake up the palate, and a good palate cleanser like a blonde/kolsch afterwards. Always seems to make a kick ass combination.

I've been using beer for the crust for a while now and it turns out great. Someone left a bunch of Shiner Bock at my house and it makes a tasty crust.
I ended up having the pale ale and an unfiltered wheat with the pizza and they were good. I think the wheat was a little better with the pizza.

Care to share the pizza crust recipe??

Glad to see I am not the only one like this. In most cases I actually do not like to drink beer with any food. I prefer to have the beer by itself later.

My favorite with pizza is homemade cream soda, or root beer.

Beer before the pizza but since are both so filling they compete too aggressively for me to enjoy them together.

Care to share the pizza crust recipe??

I just shared it with a reporter at my newspaper. She came over and we made several crusts and I shared all my tricks and tips with her. As soon as it publishes I'll post the link.

We have to wait for the link on the dough? I wanted to go home and try a new recipe. Im tired of the same ole dough! Do you cook it at a high temp like 550?

We have to wait for the link on the dough? I wanted to go home and try a new recipe. Im tired of the same ole dough! Do you cook it at a high temp like 550?

I haven't typed it up and feel no motivation to since a professional writer has already done it. In fact before she came out and observed I had not even measured most of the ingredients. I had to so she could quantify it for the article.
Patience. :) The article with several cool photos will publish soon and I will definitely share the link.
And yes, I cook it at 550 because that is as high as my oven will go. I also use a stone but I shared how to use a cookie sheet for those who don't have a pizza stone.

Here is a couple of teaser photos for you guys.

Red sauce with red, green and yellow bell peppers with mozarella and parmesean cheese.
PIZZA04.jpg

Red sauce with pepperoni and cherry tomatos and mozzarella cheese.
PIZZA07.jpg

Oh holy CROW!! They look fabulous!! I am anxiously awaiting this article!! The wait is nearly as bad as waiting for your beer to ferment!
Thanks in advance for posting the link-
AMY

My dough recipe is nothing special so I hope the wait is worth it. Dough is pretty simple stuff. I'm glad you like the photos. Here is another one for you.

Pesto sauce with red, yellow and green bell peppers and mozzarella cheese.

PIZZA01.jpg

You make the pesto?

My wife makes a mean pesto with basil from the local farmer's market.

Here is a couple of more pesto pizzas.
Both pizzas have pesto sauce and fresh basil leaves. Front has feta cheese, rear has bleu cheese.

PIZZA02.jpg

Thanks for sharing. I really should make home-made pizza more often, it's super easy and doesn't take much work.

Personally, I like a good IPA with my Pizza.

That's awesome dude! Congrats on the article.

And making your own pesto is the BEST way to go. GF uses fresh basil from the garden as well... nothing better.

Back