Serving Temperature...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelikan

Reaction score
Lucky me, I was gifted a wine refrigerator (one of the ones where you can set the temperature). Considering I only have one or two bottles of wine at any given time, I've taken out the bottom two (of three) wine shelves, and can fit 12 brews in the space provided.

So I have only one question. I like to give my brews at least 1 week in the fridge before sampling. Given that there's only space in the wine fridge for twelve, is it possible to put my beers in the regular fridge (34 to 40*F) for "chill conditioning," then transfer them to the 50*F wine fridge for drinking? Or will the 10-15*F jump have a negative impact?

Shouldn't be a problem but if you're trying to keep the temps consistent for any reason, be aware that the thermostats in most fridges like that are miserable and inaccurate. If you ever want to use it for a specific temp, it would probably be best to buy an external temp controller for it.

Shouldn't be a problem but if you're trying to keep the temps consistent for any reason, be aware that the thermostats in most fridges like that are miserable and inaccurate. If you ever want to use it for a specific temp, it would probably be best to buy an external temp controller for it.

Do you think if I put a digital thermometer in there to find where the termo is reading that I could compensate for it? For example, if I set the fridge for 60*F, and find that the thermo inside is reading 50*F, could I just set it for 60*F, knowing that it will in fact be 50*F -- or are the thermostats inconsistent as well as inaccurate?

Latest posts

Back