Activity in airlock after two weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katrinat

Reaction score
I was looking through the forums and I've noticed others mentioning they were still getting activity in the airlock after two weeks, and I noted that a lot of the comments point to warm spells.

As of today I am going on two weeks in primary with a Belgian Triple extract, and it's still bubbling away. However, the temperature is actually cooler lately in our area and the room that I ferment in is cooler than normal, staying around 60 - 65 degrees. I haven't had the extended bubbling in the past, usually just 4 - 5 days. Any thoughts?

My first thought is, have you taken a gravity. Second thought is that the airlock, is not an indication of anything except gas (CO2) leaving the fermentation vessel. Third thought, leave it alone for at least another week or two.

I was looking through the forums and I've noticed others mentioning they were still getting activity in the airlock after two weeks, and I noted that a lot of the comments point to warm spells.

As of today I am going on two weeks in primary with a Belgian Triple extract, and it's still bubbling away. However, the temperature is actually cooler lately in our area and the room that I ferment in is cooler than normal, staying around 60 - 65 degrees. I haven't had the extended bubbling in the past, usually just 4 - 5 days. Any thoughts?

Every fermentation is different. Belgian yeasts can be funny. I had one just keep chugging away for over 3 weeks. Carboy looked like a snow globe the whole time.

Don't let the temp drop too much because Belgian yeasts can stall if they drop too much. Get the temp up a little and let the yeast finish it's job.

Back