Using a friend's Sanke kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phunhog

Reaction score
I have a friend with a kegerator set up for commercial sanke kegs. He wants me to brew some beer for him. It would be easiest just to use his kegs instead of loaning him corny's and adapting. I was thinking I could just pull the stem, clean and sanitize the keg and stem, prime with sugar,fill the keg, and replace the stem. Anybody do this? This seems like the easiest way to do it. Any suggestions? Thanks.

That will work. You can also force carb just like you would with a corny. If you prime in the keg, you'll want to make sure he lets the keg settle for a day or two in his kegerator before tapping. The first pour will be all yeast, but as long at it doesn't get jostled too much it should be clear after that. You'll also want to use less priming sugar than you would for bottling the same amount of beer. Some say half the amount, but I've had good results using ~80% of what I would to bottle.

Back