What would you brew to go with Lobster Rolls?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poindexter

Reaction score
Quickie, when the 1.5# and up lobsters are looking listless, I check the little guy tank for spunky lobsters ~1.25# each, or "chickens".

Steam and shell and dice the meat.

Pile about half a cup of lobster meat chunks (3/8" dice) on a plate or cutting board. Dollop on just enough mayo to hold the chunks together, except for the maybe 1/4" streak of mustard you may or may not use. A whiff of pepper, maybe an infant sized pinch of dill, maybe five grains of salt. Whisk aorund with a fork.

layer:

One slice toasted bread

a few 2-4 leaves of bibblettuce

two slices of bacon in halves

the lobster salad, just stickly enough to not fall out of the sandwich

a little more lettuce

other slice of toast.

Before I started brewing I would serve these with either a cheap to medium domestic champagne or Bud longnecks.

Now I wonder if Pilsner Urquell would be a better choice, or maybe even something else entirely?

Time to brew soon for April lobster season I think. What would you brew?

We scuba dive here in New England and are avid bug hunters. Over 32 dives this summer, we took home just under 200 bugs. By the end of the season we've pretty much had our fill of them. We've found that we both enjoy wheat beers best with lobster, but better still is a cold California style Chardonnay. The round, full buttery taste resulting from the MLF really goes well with lobster.

Paul

McCall St. Brewer said:
I think a pilsner if you can do lagers, or even a Kolsch if you only do ales.

+1.

Pilsner was the first thing that came to mind. Although, you could easily follow any one of the suggestions mentioned here already. Those Lobster rolls are rich, fatty and have a heavy flavor which you need something that cuts through all that. I'd stay away from making a super hopped beer or anything heavily malty.

Being from New England myself, I had a clam / lobster bake last year. I had some steamed clams (steamed in Bud) and some nice steamed lobsters as well.

I brewed a cream ale to go along with it. My friends at least said it was excellent and I thought it was very smooth with the buttery / strong taste of the lobster and clams.

I'm thinking a nice amber ale. I brewed a Full Sail Amber Ale clone from BYO that I'm thinking will be nice.

Back