refurbishing old kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snail

Reaction score
I just bought an old kegerator. It was pretty ugly so I spray painted it. It was that ugly wood paneling on the whole outside with a stainless steel top. So I took the tower apart and am going to buy a new one. This one I took off is 2.5" and I would like to buy the 3". I'm going to have to drill new holes for this tower right? I'm a little worried about hitting a line rendering the fridge useless.

Also, when I was taking the tower apart there was a 1" duct hose that ran from the fan in the fridge up into the tower. I'm guessing this is to keep the tower cool to reduce foaming?

Seems like I recall some discussion about using a baking soda and water paste on the top of a freezer to detect where the coolant lines are located. I can't find the threads now, but I'll do more searching later.

on my kegerator the screws from the tower go in to reninforeced tabs that are tapped and threaded , they arent just sheet metal screws ,screwd in to the outer sheet meated skin. you may want to make sure i bet yours is the same way, and of you just screw it to the skin of the kegerator the tower will woble when you use the taps from the levrage.

Mine is just holes drilled down through the sheet metal and with 4 screws going through the base of the tower through the fridge and nuts holding it onto the fridge.

Seems like I recall some discussion about using a baking soda and water paste on the top of a freezer to detect where the coolant lines are located. I can't find the threads now, but I'll do more searching later.

I think it was corn starch & vodka.

I found this on youtube a while back and thought it had good info on it. It shows how he finds where the lines are. Maybe it will help:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so I found out it was a Beverage Air BM23. It looks like it is pretty old. The tower hole is already there. If I were to put a 3" tower on, the holes that mount the tower on shouldn't have to be moved out very far from where they are now...see pic. So I should be safe I'm thinking just drilling them....

img1564u.jpg

just use a small piece of rigid wire (like from a wire coat hangar) and prob around in the holes that are already there.. you should be able to feel if there's a line close.. and whether or not you're safe to drill any further out.

I poked around and it feels safe. I'm sure it will be fine. I just have to wait until i get the tower though...

Back