Foamy top on beer in Primary. Ready for Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacobyhale

Reaction score
If my beer, a Stout, still has a little frothiness on top but seems to be done fermenting, is it ok to rack to secondary?

What other indications do you have that it's done fermenting?

Normally one would wait at least a week, and to really be sure you should take a hydrometer reading twice in 3 days. and see that your yeast is done doing its thing.

How long has your brew been in the fermenter? Did you take a hydrometer reading before you pitched the yeast?

If you give us a few more details I'm sure we can help you determine if your brew is ready for secondary.

Matt

Sorry, I guess more info would've been helpful. It's O'Flannagains Standard stout recipe. I hit his OG on the money, (.046) and it's been at .015 since Monday. He says in the recipe that he goes from Boil to Bottle in 12days, and it has been exactly that long. I'm leaving for Oregon tomorrow for a week, I'll probably just wait to bottle when I come back. I've just never had a beer this frothy on top before, at least not after the initial krausen falls within a few days.

Yeah, kind of what I figured. Just getting impatient as always, and wanted to get her bottled before I leave. Oh well, maybe I'll be able to keg before it's ready! Woohoo!

Back