Fresh Start

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ram6519

Reaction score
Ok, I want to start making my own Hard cider. I have done alot of reading on here and other sites. Right now I have no equipment to do this so I was hoping you could help compile a list of everything needed hardware wise to make a batch.

2 - Glass Carboys (5 or 6 gal)
2 - Drilled stoppers for the Carboys
2 - Airlock 3 piece type
1 - Hydrometer
Carboy and Bottle brushes
Some kind of a Siphon & tubing
Bottle capper
Sanatizer

I can try to buy all the equipment seperately or MidWest Supplies has a complete kit for $160. http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brewing-intermediate-kit-w-two-5-gallon-glass-carboys.html

Would I come out better just buying the kit from Midwest or pieceing it together? :confused:

Thanks

don't forget;
1) measuring cup
2) quick filler (for bottling)
3) yeast nutrient + pectic enzyme
4) funnel (always handy)

not sure what's going to be cheaper. I bought my gear from different locations depending on price. you should be able to find a second hand capper for cheap, dont bother buying new.

I also recommend buying 4 carboys. you'll find that soon enough you'll be wanting to brew 2 at a time :)

ok, i want to start making my own hard cider. I have done alot of reading on here and other sites. Right now i have no equipment to do this so i was hoping you could help compile a list of everything needed hardware wise to make a batch.

2 - glass carboys (5 or 6 gal)
2 - drilled stoppers for the carboys
2 - airlock 3 piece type
1 - hydrometer
carboy and bottle brushes
some kind of a siphon & tubing
bottle capper
sanatizer

i can try to buy all the equipment seperately or midwest supplies has a complete kit for $160. http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brewing-intermediate-kit-w-two-5-gallon-glass-carboys.html

would i come out better just buying the kit from midwest or pieceing it together? :confused:

Thanks

looks like a good start, don't forget a bottling bucket and wand. Possible a thief too if you want to sample

check out morebeer.com too, they have good prices and free shipping on a lot of items.

A turkey baster works well as a wine thief, also, a good thermometer for calibrating that hydrometer and if you plan to pasteurize. Pick up some regular stoppers too so when you sample, you can close the system during that time. Sanitizer is a must and do yourself a favor and get an auto siphon, well worth it. Measuring spoons for the yeast nutrient. Also, make yourself a list when you go to your LHBS, it will save headaches

I would suggest plastic carboys. I started with glass and have switched to plastic after reading some of the horror stories on hear about them breaking. The only downside to plastic is they can get scratched and be ruined but unless you are trying to clean with them with steel wool that would be pretty hard. Depending on the recipe a hydrometer is not absolutely necessary. I have never taken gravity readings for cider. I just add everything and let it ferment for a month.

silvery37 said:
I would suggest plastic carboys. I started with glass and have switched to plastic after reading some of the horror stories on hear about them breaking. The only downside to plastic is they can get scratched and be ruined but unless you are trying to clean with them with steel wool that would be pretty hard. Depending on the recipe a hydrometer is not absolutely necessary. I have never taken gravity readings for cider. I just add everything and let it ferment for a month.

You might be able to get away without using the hydrometer (I did for a while), but they are pretty cheap and its nice to be able to confirm when a batch is finished fermenting and even being able to figure out the approximate alcohol percentage.
Last thing you want to do is bottle an actively fermenting batch, you'll end up with glass and cider everywhere!

Back