Burner spacing with wind screens

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RazzBarlow

Reaction score
OK, this may have been discussed to death, but I can't find anything on it. Perhaps a search fail?

I am in the process of planning a single tier "brutus style" brew sculpture build. I plan on using keggles and I was wondering what was a good measurement for burner height with a circular wind screen and LP BG-14 burner?

Intuitively, I would think with a good tight fitting windscreen, spacing wouldn't be so critical. But I have out-smarted myself in the past and don't want to do it again.

EDIT: I am asking about burner install HEIGHT with a good tight windscreen.

now, I haven't built a brewstand, or any windscreens, so I am far from an expert in this area. But I do believe that you want at least a little room around the burner to allow air to come up from the bottom. But you don't need a ton.

The BG-14 is quite nearly identical to the burner in the blichmann toptier burners. Which if you look at it (I have two) there's about 1/2-3/4" all the way around. It's actually screwed directly into the holes on the side of the burner.

Personally, if I were to build one, I'd probably space that a little more than what Blichmann has just because that shield gets damn hot and even the stainless discolors on mine. Painted steel wouldn't fair much better I'd imagine.
So that being said, I'd probably add some spacers to the side holes and shoot for at least 1"-1 1/2" all the way around.

I don't think it's rocket science, but you may as well do what you can to keep the function there without creating other problems.

I appreciate the response, krazydave. But I guess I didn't ask my question correctly. I'm asking what the height should be on my burner setup? It seems like you are talking about spacing of the windscreen itself around the burner.

Ah, well in that case, I believe I've read a couple times that 4" to the bottom of a flat bottom vessel, or 2" to the bottom of a keggle's skirt is about where you want to be.

Not sure if this helps But:
I'm in the process of building a few Brutus ten rigs and my next step is to build the heat shield/burner mount. I was going to fashion it after the Brewers hardware mount. http://www.brewershardware.com/12-Heat-Shield-Burner-Mount.html
This is a 4" mount with what looks to be 2" cut back to allow air with the mounting in the lower 2" of the mount.

Hope that helps

Back