Bottling wand does not fit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

losttech

Reaction score
Bottled my first batch today and everything went well except the darn bottling wand does not seem to fit the bottling bucket.

Here is the wand I have
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/plastic-spring-tip-bottle-filler.html

and the bucket spigot is this one
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/drum-tap-spigot.html

I ended up using tape and some different sizes of tube to make it work but it was ugly and not what I would like to do.

Is there some sort of adpater for this?
All the wands seems to be 5/16 and the spigots are 3/8 is there some trick I don't know about to make this easy?

When I purchased my bottling wand, I was at my LHBS and the guy there actually warned me that it wouldn't work alone. He cut off a small piece (2-3") of clear vinyl tubing, I feel like it was 3/8, then fit that over the bottling wand, leaving an inch or so off the top so connect to the spigot. I can get pictures of it when I get home if that doesn't make sense, but yeah, just a short length of 3/8 tubing should do the trick.

All you need to do is clip a length of the hose that I assum game with the bottling wand setup and use it as a brindge. Like I show and explained in my bottling thread.

DSCN3697.jpg

I use a couple of plastic clamps to ensure a tight fit.

When I purchased my bottling wand, I was at my LHBS and the guy there actually warned me that it wouldn't work alone. He cut off a small piece (2-3") of clear vinyl tubing, I feel like it was 3/8, then fit that over the bottling wand, leaving an inch or so off the top so connect to the spigot. I can get pictures of it when I get home if that doesn't make sense, but yeah, just a short length of 3/8 tubing should do the trick.

This is what I did when bottling. I think I've seen the instructions that say connect a length of tubing ( 2-3 feet ) so it can be moved around easier. For me, it was just easier to use a 1" 3/8 vinyl "Adapter" on the spigot.

Revvy's pic is basically the same setup I have, minus the clips. They don't seem like a bad idea, although I haven't had any leaks from that area (yet!). My bottling wand, on the other hand, does have issues with the valve not closing some times so it will either keep filling or lightly drip, just something to keep in mind. Hasn't led to any failures yet, as it is easy enough to just push it again and it closes right, but the dripping can get messy even with something underneath.

Back