MARATHON brew day.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orangevango

Reaction score
Today's Old Ale brew session is proving to be a test of patience. I started at 10 this morning and Im about 45 minutes from the end of the boil. I am making a 6 gallon batch and i somehow collected 11 gallons of wort... I didnt think I even used 11 gallons of water :drunk: Anyways. Im having fun still, a bit sweaty and tired, but not defeated. Recipe is as follows.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
12 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 75.00 %
2 lbs Toasted Malt (27.0 SRM) Grain 12.50 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 6.25 %
3.00 oz Williamette [3.40 %] (150 min) Hops 32.5 IBU
1 lbs Molasses (80.0 SRM) Sugar 6.25 %

mashed at 160 for 90 minutes and did a 6 quart decoction for mashout.

The boil is going on 2 hours 15 minutes and ive still got 7 gallons or so. Hehehehe.

FG was 1.091 I had about 6 gallons of wort, only 5 went into the fermentor, brewhouse efficiency was 79%, which is about 20 points higher than Ive ever had. (sad, I know)

Smells like popcorn... not sure if that bodes well for my beer.

Sounds like a good brew session, but not sure about marathon. Let me know when you've brewed 1.5 bbl in 12 hours then we'll talk about marathon brewing sessions. :D:p:D

Sounds like you got diacetyl before you even pitched your yeast. That's the worst kind!

Ever figure out how you ended up with so much wort? You should just boil that separately, hell, you worked for it.

Im hoping that the brett Im going to add in the tertiary fermentor will clean up the diacetyl (if that is what it proves to be)

I did an Imperial Stout that I boiled 14 gallons down to 5.5

I think that was an 8 hour boil. I feel your pain.

Back