First AG Batch...and my mash tun is too small...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoWheeler

Reaction score
For my first AG, I picked a Belgian Quad.....and, after buying the ingredients and starting the yeast I did the calculations....

14.25 Lbs of grain @ 1.5: 1 = 5.34375 gallons. That all ain't gonna fit in a Rubbermaid cooler...

Even at 1:1, that's still 3.5625 gallons.

What do I do?

Can I do two batches of mash? If do as suggested in this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/mash-tun-too-small-139533/ do I have to let the grains sit very long to settle, so I can have filtration from the grain bed?

Also, can I just keep checking my runoff in the boil kettle and stop sparging when I hit my target OG?

How big of a batch are you trying to make?

If you fill up the cooler to mash, then again to sparge, will you end up with the volume of wort you're hoping to boil?

Also, your pre-boil gravity will be lower than the gravity at which you pitch your yeast, so keep that in mind.

How big of a batch are you trying to make?

Five gallons. I've seen the mash water calculated as either 1.5 or one quart(s) per pound of grain.

For 14.25 lbs of grain, even at 1:1, that works out to 3.5625 gallons of mash water. Now that will fit in a five gallon cooler, but not with 14 lbs of grain ALSO in there. At 1.5:1, it's over five gallons and that definitely won't fit, even without the grains.

I was hoping to brew this weekend, but.....

On top of my mash tun being too small, I bought the "wrong" yeast, ('spoda be Wyeast 1214 and I bought 1388) and considering my starter isn't very vigorous, I may dump the starter and hold off brewing 'til next weekend.

In a pinch, you could always use a fermentation bucket as the mash tun, just get a paint strainer bag from home depot and do some research on brew-in-a-bag all grain...

Five gallons. I've seen the mash water calculated as either 1.5 or one quart(s) per pound of grain.

For 14.25 lbs of grain, even at 1:1, that works out to 3.5625 gallons of mash water. Now that will fit in a five gallon cooler, but not with 14 lbs of grain ALSO in there. At 1.5:1, it's over five gallons and that definitely won't fit, even without the grains.

I was hoping to brew this weekend, but.....

On top of my mash tun being too small, I bought the "wrong" yeast, ('spoda be Wyeast 1214 and I bought 1388) and considering my starter isn't very vigorous, I may dump the starter and hold off brewing 'til next weekend.

First of all, definitely don't waste the starter. You can refrigerate it for a good while and then step it back up. Also, although they are different yeasts, you might get interesting results mixing it up.

Can't you think of a workaround for the mash with your setup? Could you mash in your boil kettle on the stove-top and use your MLT to filter it into a third container (HLT)? Could you do a big BIAB? Two mashes like you mentioned? Could you justfill it to the brim and sparge accordingly?

Be creative, and although recipes are invaluable, always feel free to make minor adjustments at need.

I suppose you could also mash, then sparge as many times as necessary to get to your target volume. Sounds like you'll be on target if you mash once and sparge twice, but it's hard to say what your gravity will be.

I can see your dilema with your mashtun. IMHO a Belgian Quad is quite a huge leap, for your first AG brew. I didn't brew one until my 40th batch, and I built a special MLT for doing huge brews like that.

I would probably split the grain bill in half, and mash it in two sessions. Yes, it's going to take more time that way, but you won't have to worry about the size of your mashtun. Also, I have usually used 1.25 qts water to a pound of grain.

I did EdWort's Robust Porter in a 5 gal rubbermaid. 13 pounds and 13 ounces of grain. I got 3.75 gals of strike water in. I use a domed false bottom so I gave up a little space with that. Filled it to the very top. I say go for it. Mine turned out excellent. Just take your time on the runoff-don't rush it and avoid the stuck sparge.

Good luck!

DSC00290.JPG

Ok......now I'm torn between splitting the batch and just saying t'hell with it and putting in whatever mash water I can....

If I split the batch, what do I do with the runoff from the first mash, while I'm mashing the second? Keep it in my brew kettle with the lid on? Should I attempt to keep it warm for that hour and a half, or just let it cool down?

(Still not thrilled with my starter - looks kinda' lame)

The grains absorb ALOT of water, so I think this would still have fit in your cooler-tun. I have a 36 quart cooler and have mashed 15lbs of grain in it with no problem.

Back