Steeping Grains in Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phunhog

Reaction score
Hey HBT,
I am planning some partigyle brews coming up. I am excited about doing a Belgian Quad and a Kolsch. The base grain bill is pretty much the same but obviously completely different specialty malts. Can I just steep the specialty malts for 30 min. in the first runnings for the quad? I can't figure a reason why I can't...just seems that everyone always steeps in water. The only negative I can see is that the grain bag will absorb some of the high gravity wort. For the Kolsch I will just cap the mashtun with specialty grain. Thanks.

I always mill all my grains together and that way they mash for the full time (60 or 90 minutes).

I always mill all my grains together and that way they mash for the full time (60 or 90 minutes).

That won't work though for making two distinct beers using a partygyle technique.

If I am steeping separately or adding special grains at vorlauf I do it because of pH, otherwise they will end in MLT all together.
There is no reason why you couldn't do it especially for partigyle.

Back