Mini mash tun manifold design

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wooster

Reaction score
I'm in the process of building a small mash tun out of a 2 gallon cooler for partial mash brews. It's pretty much one copper tube running across the middle of the cylindrical cooler, and I was wondering if I could get any input on the manifold. Since it is relatively small, I was thinking about drilling holes in it instead of using a hacksaw to make slots. My main concern is whether or not I should drill holes all the way around, or only put them on the upper surface. Anyone have any input?

Most manifolds I've seen have the slots or holes in the bottom. The effectiveness of your design might depend on the amount & size of the holes. I'll bet if you searched hard enough you might find someone else has done this.

I started drilling 3/32" holes in it, but I think I made need to decrease the spacing so as to have more holes. Any input on this?

p1010436s.jpg

Chapstick provided for size reference.

Most of the folks that I know who have made minimash tuns have simply for a little SS braid. Just cutting one down and folding over the end of it. I think that is the way James @ basic brewing did his. Even chubbykid brewing did it for his 5L minikeg tun

006.jpg

http://sites.google.com/site/chubbykidhomebrew/Home/equipment/mini-keg-lauter-tun

I just us a folding steamer in the bottom along with a grain bag. Just break off or unscrew the center post.

steamer.jpg

One of these, it helps to lift the grain bag above the spigot to keep the drainig from getting stuck.

4050L.jpg

23.jpg

Back