Kraeusen: Is there a "normal" amount?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDreher71

Reaction score
I've brewed three batches so far. The first, a brown ale from a kit, produced maybe an inch of froth in my Ale Pail. The second was Papazian's Palace Bitter from The Joy of Home Brewing, 3e. The kraeusen was all the way to the lid after about 18 hours. The most recent is holiday Cheer, also from Joy. It produced maybe a half to three-quarters of an inch of froth. It also had orange peels, ginger, and cinnamon, so maybe the oils from the orange peel inhibits foam formation? Both of the first two batches fermented down to the right FG, so I am not really concerned about the current batch. I am just curious if others notice such variation in kraeusen volume as well...

I've made about 200 batches (maybe more) of beer, and I've never seen the same exact fermentation happen. I don't even look anymore- I just assume it's doing its thing.

Each fermentation is different- yeast strain, ingredients, temperature, etc. Even if you use the exact same ingredients, maybe the yeast got more oxygen this time.

So, yes, I'd say that any variation you notice is normal!

Most krausens range between one to three inches but it really depends on the OG and temperature of the fermenting beer.

*Gaaa...forgot to mention yeast strain (thanks Yoop.)

I've had 1/2" and blowing out the vent with 5 gallons of beer in an 8 gallon bucket.

There is never a normal amount of anything when you deal with teh yeasties...They're living creatures, so there's always mother nature's "X" factor to contend with...think of them as teenagers, or your swmbo/hwmbo....they'll always surprise you, and most of the time not act the way you would like them to..or on YOUR timeframe.

It's best just to trust that after several thousand years of doing this fermentation thing, that they know what they're doing and leave it at that.

:D

Back