Storing Grain in Space Bags

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShermanTank

Reaction score
I am starting to AG and want to buy in bulk as much as possible. With the said, I have a job, family and masters program that seems to take up much of my precious brew time. I got a 50lb bag of 2-row and decided to put the bag inside of a vacuum sealed space-bag to ensure freshness.

Any thoughts on this?:drunk:

that'll work, it's overkill - but it'll work..
I store mine in air-tight bins made for pet food. I've used grain that was 2 years old stored this way and it was fine.

i know about the masters program, and how expensive it can be. that being said, you can cut expenses bigtime on storage. i use the 5 gallon buckets from walmart. some bleach-water time, some time in the sun, and they're ready to store grain. $4 for about 20 pounds each

I use space saver bags for my bulk grain, and vacuum pack the specialty grains. it is way overkill, but I already had the space saver bags and wasn't using them so I put them to use. I use the vacuum packer mostly out of habit, I seal my hops, and any non bulk grain. keeps storage to a minimum, I just toss the grains in a storage tub and keep track of inventory on a white board on the closet door.

I use space saver bags for my bulk grain, and vacuum pack the specialty grains. it is way overkill, but I already had the space saver bags and wasn't using them so I put them to use. I use the vacuum packer mostly out of habit, I seal my hops, and any non bulk grain. keeps storage to a minimum, I just toss the grains in a storage tub and keep track of inventory on a white board on the closet door.

nice way to keep track. i just guess, and if not right, i buy more. your way might be a little better, though :D

I slap the grain on my scale and adjust the board. I also learned to mark the bags along the bottom so I wouldn't keep cutting it off when I opened it.

I put a check by my low stock grains so I can I.M. in an order to pick up on the way home from work. pretty simple system I came up with after finding I was out of c-60 and was about to mill and brew, had to roll the 80 mile round trip to go get grain.

I went to local grocer's bakery. They had a bunch of air-tight 3 gallon food grade buckets. Took 3 to hold 50 lbs of grain. And they were free!

Back