Looking for a Simple Pilsner AG Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dutchb

Reaction score
I've got 50#'s of Pilsner grain and a lot of hops, im looking to take my electric brew rig out on its first maiden voyage in a few weeks and wanted something extremely simple and for BCM drinkers that like to come over.

I also have 05 yeast as well.

As far as the hops go, here is what I have in a nutshell... You can assume I have a minimum of 1oz since i didnt feel like typing out the "complete" inventory.

Bramling cross
Bulion
Challenger
Chinook
Cluster
Columbus
Czeck Saaz
Galena
Hallterau
Horizon
Liberty
Mt Hood
Northdown
Northern Brewer
Nugget
Perle
Polnischer Lublin
Pride of Ringwood
Saaz
Simcoe
Sterling
Styrian Goldings
UK Progress
Fuggle
Willamette
Yakima Magnum

I also have 1# of flaked rice I would like to use up just to get rid of.

Any help would be appreciated!

Pilsner/Saaz is what I do. Shoot for 1.052 and about 30 IBU. Add 8 oz of Carapils per 10# Pils to soften it up a bit for a wider audience (this is a bohemian pils).

11g batch

19# German Pilsner Malt
50g Saaz 60min
30g Saaz 30min
30g Saaz 20min
30g Saaz 50min
Lager Yeast (i.e., Wyeast 2001)

Ferment < 50F

I do a rest at 120, but I use a bohemian pilsner malt that is not as modified as most. I think you could do a single 60m rest at 148F and be OK.

No rice.

Smell the rice before you use it. I often use flaked corn and thought I'd try a rice version. I bought said rice from a brew shop and didn't get around to the brew for 3 months. Opened the rice bag and it smelled rancid. I used corn instead.

If you want to use the rice, the whole 1 lb is fine, and just add enough pils malt to get you in the 1.048-052 range.

Mash a little on the low side, 150 - 152 F.

If 05 is your only choice, than an ale it is. To please the BCM folks I would try to keep the fermenter in the low 60's, at least for the first 7 days.

As for hops, I'd shoot for the low 20's for IBUS. Bittering addition, plus maybe 1/2 oz of something at ~ 20 min. For aroma. 1/4 oz of something at 5 min, 1/2 oz tops

I don't think the BCM crowd will care that much about the hops - as long as they aren't too strong, or not what they are used to (ie Simcoe)

Bitter with:
Bulion
Challenger
Chinook
Cluster
Columbus
Horizon
Mt Hood
Nugget
Willamette
Yakima Magnum
Galena

Use at any point:
Hallterau
Czeck Saaz
Saaz
Perle
Sterling
Polnischer Lublin

Excellent - all good information guys, I'll check out the supply and see which route I want to go - thanks, exactly what I was looking for!

Back