Looking for advice on first wort hops recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have recently read about using first wort hooping as a method of bringing out more of the hop taste in home brew. I found a modifide recipe on Brew Smith that I wanted to try but I am not sure if I have too much of the hops being used as first wort hops. Thus, any comments on what I have here and suggestions for changes will be much appreciated. My goal is to make a hoppier beer for my swmbo now that the baby is nursing just fine and she can drink beer with dinner again.

First Wort Hops Amber Ale (All grain, 5 Gallon size)

8.00 lb 2-Row
1.00 lb Crystal 60L
1.00 lb Munich malt

1.0 oz East Kent Goldings (60 min) First Wort Hops
0.75 oz Cascade (60 min) First Wort Hops
0.75 oz Cascade (5 min)
0.50 oz Cascade Dry Hops (final 7 days)

Wyeast American Ale yeast 1056

OG: 1.054 IBU: 40.4 IBU/SG: 0.75 11.3 SRM

I substituted 1.0 lb Crystal 60 for the 1.0 lb Crystal 40 in order to give this a slightly more amber color. I am not sure if this will affect the taste at all. Any thoughts?

Do I have too much of the hops going into the first wort stage?

Thanks for any input you may have.

Mick

I did EdWort's Haus Pale ale and moved the bittering hops (1oz cascade 60min) to FWH. It came out way too bitter. And his recipe only has 2 oz total. My take is that FWH should replace the bittering addition (60 min). Also it should take a smaller amount. Maybe .75 oz EKG FWH and omit the full boil amount of cascade (60 min). Add it to dry hops if you're wanting hoppy aroma like an IPA.

I think the crystal sub will result in only a very slight taste difference.

First wort hops are a portion of the hops that are steeped in the first runnings from the mash tun while the sparge water is collected and run into the kettle.

I played with beersmith again and changed the recipe so that there is a smaller amount of hops in the first wort stage. I also lowered the recipe size to 4 gallons just in case it does comes out too bitter.

First Wort Hops Amber Ale (All grain, 4 Gallon size)

6.00 lb 2-Row
0.75 lb Crystal 60L
0.75 lb Munich malt

0.75 oz East Kent Goldings (60 min) First Wort Hops
0.33 oz Cascade (60 min) First Wort Hops
0.33 oz Cascade (5 min)
0.25 oz East Kent Goldings (5 min)
0.33 oz Cascade Dry Hops (final 7 days)

Wyeast American Ale yeast 1056

OG: 1.051 IBU: 31.8 IBU/SG: 0.63 9.2 SRM

Any comments or suggestions on this revised recipe?

Latest posts

Back