Nitro Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I_B_Mongo

Reaction score
Hello all. This is my first post on this site, so please forgive me if I break any protocol. Anyway, I recently got a nitrogen regulator for free (great to have connections in the HVAC field). My problem is, I have no idea how to put a beer on nitro. I've kegged plenty of beers and served them w/ CO2, but didn't know if it was the same theory.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Kegged: Imperial IPA
Bottled: Imperial IPA, Raspberry Hefe, Belgian Quad
Up Next: Hopefully a stout of some type served on nitro!

Most just get a nitro blend from the bottle shop. Part Nitro, part CO2 in one bottle. Thus, IIRC, the actual reg is of little importance except you need what fit on the bottle you have.

Of course, you could look at how to plumb for a custom blend. Not sure how that works really as I have only seen machines that blend it for you.

Cheers.

Carb with the CO2 as you normally would...well, actually maybe a little less. Once your satisfied with the carb level switch over to the Nitro gas. Oh, and you should be using a stout faucet. You'll have to play with the PSI, but in the neighborhood of 30psi (give or take) on the Nitro.

Check with your fountain supply shop or gas supplier. They usually have a preference for CO2 tanks, or Inert Gas tanks.

You'll need to get a fill with BEER MIX (25%CO2, 75%N2).

I only use BEER MIX with my Stouts & Cream Flow Ales. For this you'll need a special stout faucet which has a restrictor plate with tiny holes in it. I set my regulator pressure at 30 psi...and dispense through the stout faucet. The idea behind using Nitrogen is...you need the extra pressure to dispense through a restrictor and get the release of gases that you're looking for. If you do it correctly, you'll see that cascading head effect in the glass. The other advantage to BEER MIX...it makes it possible to pour Half N Half's or Black N Tans, etc...

If you used 30psi of CO2, you'd have way overcarbonated beer. Since only 25% of the BEER MIX is CO2...you wind up with half the Carbonation, even though you've more than doubled your pressure. Stouts and Cream Flow Ales are not supposed to be too carbonated.

The Nitrogen bubble is smaller than the CO2 bubble as well. I don't know if it has anything to do with it...but the head is creamier. It may have more to do with protiens, lipids, etc...in the beer than the Nitrogen effect, I don't really know. But it is noticibly creamier.

LASTLY...check that regulator. Does it have an overpressure relief valve? Does your keg? Bottom line..don't hook up a regulator with a set pressure over 100 psi to a corny keg that doesn't have an operational relief valve. If the regulator malfunctions...you could blow your keg up. There has to be a safety link somewhere. I know a lot of Nitrogen regulators are capable of pressure way over 100 psi...like for inflating tires on airliners, etc.. which could take up to 220 psi, etc...

Back